San Diego-May?

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm by sweetflowers

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 7

Wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any classes/conventions in the San Diego area in May or around there? Hubby and I are thinking of going away somewhere not too far, for a combined holiday/cake class.

6 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

Contact the San Diego Cake Club. Here's their link:
http://sandiegocakeclub.com/

It's not in May, but they will have their annual Cake Show Competition on March 6 & 7, 2010

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 7

There are classes are several of the local cake shops and cake schools.
www.doitwithicing.com
Roz's Cake Shop (don't know the site name)
www.amymalone.com
www.confectionarychalet.com (not sure about this one either)

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

Roz's Sweet Art Studio offers all kinds of different classes. Shes located in San Marcos, which is North San Diego County. I doubt her website lists classes that far in the future, but you could give her a call to see if she has an idea of what she'll be offering

http://www.rozsweetartstudio.com/

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

I am in San Diego and don't know of anything major going on in May. But Do It With Icing has really cool classes and sometimes they have some real pros who teach awesome things. The latest one was a lady ( don't know name) who taught you how to make muppets, she was on a few Food Network Challenges. But these classes are in the $400 range. Hope you have fun while you are here. I am actually suprised that there aren't really huge cake stores here. They all seem like Mom and Pop places to me.

But while you are here look up Pipe's. Its a little hole in the wall breakfast place in Cardiff By the Sea that serves the best breakfast ever. Its super cute and is like a little local surfer hangout. Its one of those places that are supposed to stay secret for locals only...lol.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

There are classes are several of the local cake shops and cake schools.
www.doitwithicing.com
Roz's Cake Shop (don't know the site name)
www.amymalone.com
www.confectionarychalet.com (not sure about this one either)

Kathleen Lange of Confectionary Chalet does world class Lambeth cakes and teaches that technique. Very few people teach this method outside of the UK. If you are interested in the Lambeth style, you will not find a better teacher anywhere in the States.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

Kathleen isn't the only one that teaches Lambeth in San Diego area, but she does have more formal classes and she's been teaching a long time so very good. Just saying there are others. As for Do It With Icing, they do have great classes along with Roz's and Amy's. I think Lauren Kitchens is the person that did the muppets, but I have to say, all of the teachers are pros that teach awesome things at those shops. Just some are more well known because of the TV. Lauren did a fabulous job in her class, she is amazing. But not all TV cake decorators are good teachers, I know I had a class from one that was pretty bad.

We also have The Cake Cottage (www.thecakecottage.net) in Murrietta, just 45 minutes north that has some great classes. Susan Carberry owns it and also teaches there, another fabulous teacher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%