Icing Consistency And Thickness Questions

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 4:53am by Unlimited

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi - I have two questions about icing:

1. If you are covering a cake with fondant, how thick of a layer of icing do you put underneath?

2. For piping - what is the best consistency for the icing. I have been playing around with piping and I think my icing was to thick. It was hard to keep it flowing out of the tip smoothly and it kept breaking?

Thank you!! Everyone is always so helpful!!

Kate icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 5

1. I only used a crumbcoat under my fondant. Anything heavier and you risk the fondant sliding or forming "elephant skin."

2. For piping, a medium consistency is best, unless you are using it for writing, then use a thin consistency. Thick is used for dams and piping flowers.

Hope that answered your questions, if not, let me know.

Best,
Karen

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:17am
post #3 of 5

I use a regular amount of icing under my fondant. From what I read on here, the amount is a personal choice. However, too much icing and you do risk having fondant problems.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

If you're piping and it's too hard to push out of the decorating bag, it breaks and it hurts your hand, then it's too thick. Add more milk/water to thin it down. It should flow with relative ease and still hold it's shape.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:53am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzygem

2. For piping - what is the best consistency for the icing. I have been playing around with piping and I think my icing was to thick. It was hard to keep it flowing out of the tip smoothly and it kept breaking?

It really depends on what you're trying to pipe. If it's stringwork or writing, a medium consistency is fine for a tip #3 or #4, but you may need to thin it more if using a tip #1 or #2 (if it continues to break, you can add piping gel, or it could just be a little too airy). If it doesn't flow smoothly, but rather curlscheck your tip because it probably has a seam on the inside that is causing it. (I like mine pretty soupy for writing!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%