How Do I Keep Fondant From Getting Elephant Skin?

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm by brincess_b

snazzygem Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 7

I have only been making cakes a couple of months and I can't figure out how to avoid elephant skin in my fondant. I use a little crisco when it seems to be getting dry while I knead it. When I roll it out it seems smooth but then I cover the cake and the teeny tiny crack marks start to show. Any tips are much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kate icon_smile.gif

6 replies
diamonds-and-rust Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:13am
post #2 of 7

Hi Snazzy!
I had that same problem until I began using Macsmom's recipe, which u can find in the recipe database...I think the inclusion of glycerine makes the fondant much more forgiving and super easy to work with...you should give this recipe a try, I think you will be very happy with it, HTH!
Cathy

jenscreativity Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:32am
post #3 of 7

I want to try this too! Thank you

thatslifeca Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:00am
post #4 of 7

You could try rubbing the fondant with shortening. Thats what I have heard others do.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:15am
post #5 of 7

have you tried microwaving it just a tiny bit to get the chill out and make it more pliable, then you won't need to kneed and roll for so long before getting it on the cake?

scgriffiths Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:34am
post #6 of 7

It sounds like you're not working fast enough. Fondant dries out just like BC, and if you are taking your time getting the fondant on the cake, it will form "elephant skin" when you handle it again. When covering a cake in fondant, have everything ready right where you need it so you don't have to go finding anything half way through the covering process. Then don't stop to take a breath until it is covered and smoothed icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

brincess_b Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 7

i will second the need to work fast!
also, watch ur technique for moving the fondant - if that causes it to stretch u can get problems too.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%