Parents, Help! Biting Baby....

Lounge By zespri Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 5:14am by heyjules

zespri Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 7

An odd topic for a cake forum, but I know there are loads of parents in here, so maybe someone can help.

My 16 month old boy will not stop biting me, and it's getting out of hand. He used to just nibble my shoulder, just little nips. Right from the start I said to him "no! that hurts Mummy, don't bite!" and put him down and walk away from him. His bites are now getting worse and worse, yesterday he bit down, then pulled his head back while he had my skin between his teeth.

EVERYONE I have asked about it has told me to bite him back. I didn't think that sounded very nice, so wouldn't do that. However one day after he drew blood I gave it a try as I was desperate. And it was a BAD idea!! I didn't know my strength, and how delicate he was, and I damaged his skin... it came up all red and blotchy like there was blood underneath the skin. I howled and sobbed, I was so upset. My husband had to take him outside away from me so it didn't upset him. He stopped crying very quickly, I was definitely more upset than he was. I'll never do that again!!

I have also given him little slaps on the back of the legs when he won't let go.

What else is there I can try? It's only me that he bites, and it's always when we're having a cuddle. So it's not like he comes up to me and bites my leg to get attention. He's already GOT my attention, we're having a cuddle.

When he is biting and my husband takes him off me, he is reaching for me with his mouth open like a baby piranha! Sometimes he just nips on my clothing, but even then I tell him to stop, in an effort to be consistent.

Any ideas? I've got little red welts all over my shoulders. I'm just glad I'm not breastfeeding!

6 replies
zespri Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:19am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, that link was pretty good. I've already tried the fake sobbing, he just toddled off to maraud something. I haven't tried putting his own arm in the way of his paranha choppers, that could be a goer.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

We used cocoa powder on my nephew when he was biting. The taste is horrible and bitter, but won't hurt him in any way. It took once, maybe twice and that was it. He quickly learned if he bit then he got that bitter nasty stuff in his mouth.

itsmylife Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

A friend of mine's son was a biter for many, many months. He was never biting her out of anger. It was always during play or some other 'happy' time.

What worked for her (after months of trying other techniques) was to give him something else that was ok to bite. If he bit her, she would tell him 'NO' firmly (but not yell/scream), 'that gives mommy a boo boo', & then give him whatever toy (teethers, etc) that was ok for him to bite. It took a little bit to get him trained, but she kept at it & he stopped biting her. A short while after that, he stopped biting the toy, so he probably just grew out of the phase.

Hope you get some relief soon!

heyjules Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:11am
post #6 of 7

Love the post above. Agression doesn't fix agression, and sometimes there aren't quick fixes.

heyjules Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:14am
post #7 of 7

And now I see how old this post is! Sure it's not a problem anymore! I clicked on it becuase I have an 8 month old who just got her first tooth and is biting me while trying to breastfeed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%