Cake Recipe Good For Slicing

Baking By Windsor Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm by LindaF144a

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hello CakeCentral-er's,

I need a recipe for a cake that is moist, but not too moist. That is firm but not too firm and cuts well!

My son's birthday cake (yesterday) crumbled when cut, the chocolate was way too moist.

Any suggestions would be fabulous thank you.

This is for my daughters 5th birthday and it is fairy themed. (just in case you wanna know)

7 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 8

WASC is a good place to start.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

What was your recipe? Did you use a mix or scratch? Are you looking for a mix or scratch recipe?

I don't want to give the one you just tried.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 8

Usually when a cake crumbles it's too dry.

What type of knife did you use? Never use a butterknife.

I always use good quality knives and prefer serrated when cutting cakes with fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 8

I have to disagree with the serrated on fondant. My first fondant cake was a mess when I cut (fortunately it was my own 50th birthday). came to CC for help and someone said use a straight edge knife, not serrated. I still had the top tier so I cut that with a straight edge knife and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Just like a magazine picture of a piece of cake!

The marshmellow gumminess in the fondant gets up in the teeth of the serrated knife and clogs it up, leaving you with a clogged up not-so-sharp knife after just a couple of cuts.

I now use non-serrated knives for all of my cakes. Just cut my son's wedding cake yesterday with one! thumbs_up.gif

As mentioned above, what kind of cake are you using? I've used mixes and scratch (yes, even debi has made a hershey cocoa can recipe scratch choc cake! ) and all have cut fine.

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 8

Sorry I should have been more specific, I used a box triple chocolate chip and it had 1/2 a cup of oil in it, and was super moist.

I really want a from scratch recipe

Thank you!

mo_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_gateaux Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 8

If you're looking for a delicious chocolate scratch cake, i have had nothing but excellent reviews on the Hershey "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8

Everybody seems to love the hershey cake on the can, so that sounds like a good place to start. Then after that you can surf the internet for about another gazillion chocolate scratch recipes and find one you like. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%