Tip Number

Baking By Bellamaxime Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm by IcingTops

Bellamaxime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellamaxime Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 12

I'm sorry if my english is not so good. I'm from Belgium and for 1 year now am decorating my cookies with royal icing. I get better and better, but I recently discoverd the cookies of sweet Sugarbelle! Man ... I nearly dropped off my chair!!!
I wonder what kind of Tip number (I really do not know if this is the correct word) she is using to decorate her cookies. To do the outlining I mean ...
Do you guys have any idea?
Thanks for the help!
Isabelle

11 replies
writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know what size she uses but I use tip 2 or 3, depending on the cookie design.

Your English is better than my French. thumbs_up.gif

IcingTops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingTops Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 12

Hello all
I currently decorate cookies using rolled fondant and would like to start learning how to decorate them using royal icing. I'd like to have some tips on what equipment to buy. Can anyone advise please?

I'd like to know what number tips would be most useful (and of course most used) when decorating cookies. I am going to buy some plastic squeeze bottles as well.

Thanks.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 12

Wow-za.. I just googled her, and she does amazing work! I would say most of her cookies are outlined in a tip #3, medium pressure. Then the smaller cookies with more detail are probably a #2 tip, so I would agree with Writersblock.

I also noticed you mentioned you use Royal Icing.. If you search in the recipes, I have noticed they have some icing recipes that dry smooth and shiney so you can still wrap and stack cookies, but when you eat them, the icing is still semi soft. I don't mind the taste of royal, but LOVE the taste of these cookie buttercreams.

@Icing Tops- I would recommend lots of round tips for outlining, and filling the cookies. But you can always invest in a small kit of tips just to have options (stars, leaves, etc). And the best investment I ever made was 100count cookie cutters from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think it was only $10, and it came with all the letters and numbers, sports, holidays, TONS. They are only plastic, but a good cheap way to start and have lots of options. HTH

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 12

I know you were asking about a specific cookie maker, but....I use different sizes depending on the size of the area of cookie - and if there are sharp edges tot he design - I'm filling.

I outline and fill at the same time - and I use anywhere from a tip #1 all the way up to a tip #5.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #6 of 12

Depending on the area I'm icing, I will flood with a #2 up to #4 (#2 for smaller areas, #4 for larger areas). Like Bonnie, I outline and fill at the same time. Once all the areas have been decorated and the icing has set, I go back and add final outlines (usually in thickened black glace) with a #1s tip.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 12

Wow - I'm glad I found this post. sugarbelle is awesome!

butterlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterlove Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:05am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcingTops

Hello all
I currently decorate cookies using rolled fondant and would like to start learning how to decorate them using royal icing. I'd like to have some tips on what equipment to buy. Can anyone advise please?

Hi IcingTops,

I love this site http://www.universityofcookie.com/ for tips on cookie decorating with Royal Icing. This is a video-based site and absolutely fantastic for beginners.

You can also link to some of the 'teachers' on the University of Cookie site and they are all baking bloggers with great decorating skills.

Check out Bridget on Bake@350 and Sweetopia too. I am Baker's Amanda has a great shiny RI frosting recipe.

Hope you find what you're looking for. This cookie decorating thing is highly addictive.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:50am
post #9 of 12

butterlove
I've never seen this site before. thanks for posting it. Its great

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 12
butterlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterlove Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:29am
post #11 of 12

Toleshed, you're welcome. That's what we're all here for. To share and grow our love of cookies and cakes, right?

I recently splurged on a copy of the Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits by the Biscuiteer cookie company who are based in London. It's a beautiful book of ideas for a new cookie decorator. Their style is kind of like Eleni's in New York. They give instructions for which part of the cookie should be iced first for their cookie designs. It's all Royal Icing ideas though.

I was really surprised at some of the cookie recipes they included in their book as I never really thought about decorating Anzac cookies before. They also have a fantastic tip about how to pack cookies for shipping which was quite innovative.

I am thinking about investing in the book Cookie Craft but I'm still not sure.

IcingTops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingTops Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%