First Time Decorating Cookies

Baking By amarilloyankee Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 2:09am by gingerbreadtogo

amarilloyankee Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am a total newbie when it comes to decorating cookies. I have some bottles and did the flood last night (although it was really thick so I had to smear it) but my question is for those that use multiple colors with tips (to do detailed work) do you own several size 1-2-3 tips? Sorry I am just really confused!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

3 replies
writersblock15 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, I own 3 of each size tip. Flooding takes practices. In particular, icing consistency. I always do a test cookie to make sure the icing is thin enough.

limefroggy Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:29am
post #3 of 4

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? First time cookie decorating. I made the royal icing recipe on joy of baking site. It was very thick so I divided icing into bowls for different colours and I added water to a couple of bowls so I could use these colours to flood the cookies. I used a number 3 tip. I added water until a ribbon of icing falling on top of the icing disappeared in about 5 seconds as instructed by a number of tutorials, however my icing seemed to be too thick as well as too runny at the same time. How do you get that beautiful thin layer after flooding?

gingerbreadtogo Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

I'm not familiar with joy of cooking recipe..I wonder did you mix it long enough? after you add the water to thin it down did you mix it really good? did you pipe a border and then flood within it? and then it ran down side of cookie? Sounds like it might to thin, maybe try the 10 second rule icon_smile.gif

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%