Angel Food Wedding Cake

Decorating By kakebrown Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm by kakebrown

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to make a light and airy wedding cake filled with strawberry cream.....she suggested an Angel food cake. I have never made one and do not know how it will hold up stacked. It is a small cake...45 people! 8" & 10" or 8" & 12"....any help would be appreciated.

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 11

The cake doesn't support the upper tier. Your support system does (SPS or dowels and plates)

You shouldn't have any issues with putting dowels in the lower tier and then putting the upper tier on the dowels.

With an angel food cake though, what type of icing is she thinking? Since you said light and airy i'm assuming some sort of whipped icing. I would recommend the bettercreme icing b/c it can be stable out of refrigeration for 3-4 hours. You can purchase it in a liquid form to whip up from some restaurant supply stores or you can purchase it pre-whipped from Sam's club (ask in their bakery dept, you won't find it on a shelf or in the freezer section)

kakebrown Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #3 of 11

I usually use the bettercreme from Sam's Club and intend on using it on this cake.......I just have never used an angel food cake before....kinda scares me.....Thank you for your reply......I just I was just wondering how the cake holds up....I usually use the wilton invisible plastic dowels and plate.....I think that is what they are called.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakebrown

I usually use the bettercreme from Sam's Club and intend on using it on this cake.......I just have never used an angel food cake before....kinda scares me.....Thank you for your reply......I just I was just wondering how the cake holds up....I usually use the wilton invisible plastic dowels and plate.....I think that is what they are called.

As long as you're using a support system it doesn't matter what type of cake is on it. The wilton system works too, i just used the other two as examples as there are so many different systems on the market, but the basis is the same - plate and legs for support.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 11

I heard the sps system works..It costs a little more,,but worth not having any worries.

Good luck
jenifer

kakebrown Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 11

now I am feeling very stupid.....I looked at the recipes and decided to try the mock Angel food cake that is posted in the recipe section.....I filled an 8" round about half full.....it didn't raise up to the top of the pan....it was dry and dence....if that makes sense....I torted it and filled it....and it was tough to cut. I ran up to the store and bought a mix......filled a 10" round almost to the top......yeah....you guessed it...in the oven overflowing. What to do?????
I can't imagine an Angel food cake making a good wedding cake. I am struggling with this task.....Any ideas???

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #7 of 11

You filled pan too high,,should be a few inches from top only. Also, I heard the angel food cake recipe from Betty Crocker cookbook is great..Perhaps try a new recipe?

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #8 of 11

I would ask your bride if she is set on angel food cake. You can make other "light and airy" cakes besides that.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #9 of 11

Maybe, just a suggestion, if she is set on Angle Food Cake......make a dummy display cake.. top tier,

Angle Food...so they can cut. Make Angle Food cakes....filled with a light fluffy filling, maybe lemon whip and ice with pastry pride. Can be cut in the kitchen and served....

kakebrown Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #10 of 11

Even though the cake went over...it is a lighter/taller cake....I just had to cut off the edges. I can't seem to get it to tort though. I am thinking to just fill the center with a fresh strawberry cream filling...and stacking another one on top to get the 4" hieght..and putting Rich's bettercreme on the outside. I hope this works. this is my practice round......I only have till the 30th to get this right........yikes!!
Thanks everyone for your help.
If anyone has done an angel food cake as a wedding cake any ideas, suggestions or tried and true testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

kakebrown Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 11

I took the cakes that I made and filled the center with strawberry cream.....they only stacked 3" tall....but I guess that is okay. I put the dowels in to test them...and they worked fine....covered the outside in Rich's bettercream and it looked good. All that worry!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%