Fbct: First Time Attempt...did Not Like Finished Product

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm by TexasSugar

cakegroove Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

I attempted a FBCT for the first time today. I thought it was going to turn out great. I paid attention to detail. Froze for an hour. Peeled back wax paper to a nice looking transfer, other than my background filler color showed the lines from when I piped it on. It was not smooth. How do I avoid this?

6 replies
beenie51 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 7

I have never worked with FBCT but I have outlined in black or brown a design and turned that over on the cake and filled in much like you do with FBCT. Then inorder to get a nice smooth finish I wait for the buttercream to set up and smooth it with waxed paper or vivia paper towel. Could you do that then place the your it in the freezer and the proceed. Hope that helps.

jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:35am
post #3 of 7

I have worked with it and it needs to settle in icing for a little while then it should be ok.

poohsmomma Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

I plop my FBCT on my cake, fill in any gaps with icing, and wait for it to thaw and crust. Then I VIVA it. Usually turns out pretty well.
Here's a link to one of them:

KTB4 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 7

I find if I use a really thin consistency icing (almost runny) I get the best results. No wormy lines or little teeny gaps you can't see.

jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, you can just crumb coat the thin layer underneath and it works like a charm! No need to plop a lot of icing on underneath.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 7

I use a soft medium icing.

When filling in larger areas try to avoid piping actual lines. Move the tip slower and let the icing build out and away from the tip.

After I have had it in the freezer for a little bit, about 10-15 mins I'll pull it out and flip it over and run my finger over it to smooth out any spots that need it. Also after it has been put on the cake you can viva it.

I've never done the background coat of icing on mine. I just make sure I build it up thick enough with the colors I am working with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%