Convection Oven Bakers... Help!!! :)

Baking By chilz822 Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm by chilz822

chilz822 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

So, first let me say... woohoo! I'm finally a licensed and legal Florida baker! I got an amazing deal on a brand new church kitchen rental. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy!

Now, my delimma is... I've never baked in convection, and they have an awesome oven setup, but they're convection (I'll try to attach a pic). I went in today to bake a trial run of my tried and tru go-to cake/cupcake recipe. They baked up great but the textue is so different than I'm used to. I baked cupcakes (regular sized and mini's) just to see how everything worked. They came out so light and fluffy and airy. Now, I realize this is not a bad thing, but when you're doing a filled cupcake of fondant covered cake, welllll... it just ain't gonna work! icon_smile.gif

I used the Durable recipe from this site (box mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, oil, liquid), same one I have always made in my regular oven. Why did the texture change so much? How did my recipe go from dense to light as air? What should I being doing differently in these new ovens?

Thanks for any advice!

well, I'm trying but it's not accepting my pics, even resized. If it helps, there are Moffat brand

4 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5

Well, convection ovens are just . . .different, as you've experienced. First turn the temp down by 25 degrees. The bake time will also be shortened by 25% or so. After that, experiment.

leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 5

PS I bake cakes a 310 convection when the recipe calls for 350.

ddaigle Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

I bake at 325 in my convection. I have a fan that I cannot regulate or control that will make my cupcakes look obscene. I put a baking pan on the shelf that is in the center of the fan. For some reason, this pan will interrupt the air and not jack up my cupcakes. I do not have a texture issues though. I use the WASC recipes for my cupcakes. Good luck!

chilz822 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 5

I baked at 325 when my recipe called for 350... I also bake this recipe at 325 normally anyway in my residental electric oven. Maybe a recipe change is in order... I'll try the wasc next time. The cuppies looked good as far as dome and shape but just were sooooo soft!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%