My Mixing Blade Does Not Fit, I Have To Hold The Bowl Up?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 3:10am by Scarlets-Cakes

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 15

Oh good god, this seemed to work ok when mixing the cake, but what will happen when I go to mix the frosting?!?!?

My old KA mixing blade got this gray stuff on it and when I would wash it, it would still be there no matter how many times I washed it (I have a new thread in "how do I" asking how to take care of my pans and blades to prevent this) so I tossed the blade having NO idea that I could not just walts into any store and buy a new one, heck it's hard to even figure out wh/ one is needed.

I had a white coated one so I figure ok I'll use that one, but it's too short, it does not get down there enough so I have to physically hold the bowl higher.

I bought this super cool one that had scraper built into the side, but it's too big... I feel like Goldie Locks and the three blades!

14 replies
frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 15

You can adjust your bowl height using the adjustment screw. Bring the bowl higher, KitchenAid recommends 1/16" between the bottom of the paddle and the bowl.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:03am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

You can adjust your bowl height using the adjustment screw. Bring the bowl higher, KitchenAid recommends 1/16" between the bottom of the paddle and the bowl.

I will have to look for that!!! Holy Cow I hope mine has that, it's a lower end model

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 15

It does not seem to have a way to adjust it, I unscrewed things, even broke it for a lil while (son put it back together) instruction manual does not say anything about it.. dang!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 15

I'm going to try to post pictures of it (hopefully it'll let me tonight) I have taken pictures for someone else before about where the adjustment is.

you'll need to lift the head of the mixer up to access the adjustment screw

ok, i can't attach the photos i want to, but i found an old thread that i posted them in a few years ago, maybe something else in that topic will help too.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-325313-screw.html

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:10am
post #6 of 15

Leily.. the head of mine does not tilt (not on it's own at least) I'll take a look at it in the morning and see if there is away to make the head tilt. My KA is one of the cheap ones, but it was a BIG step up from what I had prior (15 dollar hand mixer from Walgreen's drug store)

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #7 of 15

When all else fails call kitchen aid. When I needed a new blade I called and gave the modle numbe of my mixer and they sent me the right blade.
They might be able to tell you how to adjust the blade hight if possible. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:03am
post #8 of 15

Make sure the scraper blade is the right size. If it is, it does make more noise and one side does scrape harder than the other. But it is the only one I use. I bought it at Sur La Table and they have had no complaints. Mine also adjusted itself a little with use.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #9 of 15

Mine doesn't have a tilting head, either. My husband adjusted it when we first got it. The instructions were in the booklet. Can you find a booklet online? Maybe a newer booklet would have the adjustment instructions.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 15

I found it in my manual, but I think it's really a problem of having the wrong beater. the white one is at least an inch away from the bottom of the bowl. The old flat beater worked great (minus the gray stuff)

I am gonna see if I can adjust it once I get home.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 15

I think I found my problem...

so my mixer was a sale one for black friday, it only came w/ one flat beater .. it looks like my mom bought extra parts for it and it's those that seem too small.. (the white flat beater, the wire whisk, never tried the dough hook - they look like they are an inch or so too small for the bowl)

I have a k4sswh bought Christmas 2008 ( I have hardly used it until now, maybe 4 or 5 time in all that time )

I better call KA and make sure I get the correct number I need for a new flat beater.

Husband got a killer deal on the mixer, so I can't be too mad about all this issues.. I have a saying.. If you don't pay w/ money you'll pay with time... nothing is cheap and easy.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 15

My old KA flat beater tarnished because I put it in the dishwasher.

Whatever blade you get, just make sure you NEVER put it in the dishwasher. The metal ones will tarnish and the white coated ones will bubble and the white stuff will come off. I hate washing anything by hand, but my blades I always wash by hand.

I am shying away from the white coated ones anyway because you can still use the metal ones even if you accidentally run it through the dishwasher. Once the white gunk starts coming off the other ones, you have to stop using them.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 15

it really should be against the law to be able to sell anything that is not dishwasher safe!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:53am
post #14 of 15

Ok I returned the scraper blade that did NOT fit and bought one that might fit... I really need to buy some for real KA blades, I think I'll ask for a few for X-mas!!! It sucks that you cant just go to a store and bough them you have to buy online... Here is hoping this new blade fits. I fiddled w/ the KA back then, even found the screw to adjust it a bit.. so I am sure it's all kinds of out of whack!

Now I need to pick a cake to try...

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

it really should be against the law to be able to sell anything that is not dishwasher safe!

Ain't that the truth! Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%