Refrigerating A Cake

Decorating By NKUMama Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm by NKUMama

NKUMama Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi Cakies! I finished a cake tonight for my SIL and her cousin who are celebrating their 17th birthdays this month. The cake is devil's food with a peanut butter filling. My question is whether or not I need to refrigerate the cake over night? The filling is made with cream cheese and butter. I'm leaning towards yes, but was wondering what you all thought! Thanks for your advice!

2 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 3

I ALWAYS refrigerate my cakes when I'm done with them, especially if I'm going to transport them, but I live in an arid climate. I understand that in humid climates when you take a cake out of the fridge into a humid, room temperature environment it can sweat and be a mess.

I guess to answer your question, I leave peanut butter in the pantry for months and it's fine. I leave butter on the counter for weeks and it's fine. I don't leave cream cheese out, but it is mixed into the filling with the other ingredients and it's probably stable, too. Could you leave the filling out on the counter in a bowl over night and eat it the next morning? My guess is that it'd be fine.

NKUMama Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Ruth0209. I decided to go ahead and refrigerate it overnight and then took it out this morning to come to temp. So far everything looks good, not a lot of cracking so we should be good! Thanks for replying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%