Things You've Learned From Your 1St Wedding Cake.

Decorating By brandiwyne Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 1:34am by CakesbyCarla

brandiwyne Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

Today I had my first wedding cake and learned never use wax boards underneath. I assembled onsite and 2nd tier almost slid off while trying to stack my second tier...WHEEW thank goodness i'm good at repairing

5 replies
mommakabob Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

Great idea for a thread! I may be making a wedding cake next year and I can use all the help I can get!!

iamcakin Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 6

1) use SPS for stacking/transporting, and only add the very top tier on site icon_smile.gif

2) go into the venue and see where they have planned for the cake ( shhh.gif then secretly check to make sure the table is sturdy!!)

DesignerWoman Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 6

I made my first wedding cake 2 weeks ago and this is what I learned:

1. When you do not have the tools you need, you get very creative FAST
2. Buying fondant to cover the cake keeps you and everyone around you sane!
3. When something goes wrong, it helps to have someone around to bounce ideas off of to fix it
4. Plan your time! Do as much as you can ahead of time!

Making the wedding cake was a little stressful, however seeing bride soooo happy with the cake made it worth it icon_smile.gif I will definitely make another wedding cake. . . . but hopefully not for a while icon_biggrin.gif

DSmo Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 6

Regardless of how small the cake is, and even if you only have a very short distance to travel, ALWAYS PUT THE DOWEL DOWN THROUGH BOTH TIERS.

CakesbyCarla Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

I've learned it's easier to stack an all BC cake if it's been in the freezer for a bit. I learned this with my 2nd stacked cake unfortunately. The first one was a real pain b/c I didn't.

Also, I learned tape on the back of ribbon doesn't prevent it from soaking up grease in the BC. Just go ahead and crisco the ribbon ahead of time, so it's all evenly saturated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%