Ahhhhhh! Wedding Cake Due Tomorrow!! Indydebi's Frosting...

Decorating By mrscunningham Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm by mrscunningham

mrscunningham Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 24

is killing me! I crumb coated, (which I normally never do) and the top coat of icing is sliding everywhere. I frost the cake and as I am smoothing, all the frosting is moving with me. I can't get it to stick to the crumb coat. Please help! icon_cry.gif

23 replies
leily Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 24

did you refrigerate the cake after you put the crumb coat on it? Does it just need to warm up and have the condensation evaportate?

mrscunningham Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 24

I did not refrigerate the cake at all.

Crimsicle Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 24

I used Indydeb's recipe today and felt it was a little stiff, prepared as instructed. I put more milk in it, and it spread better. Her recipe does suggest adjusting the ingredients to get the texture you need. Perhaps you'd have better luck with a little more moisture in it.

jenscreativity Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 24

This happened to me this morning!! Ok,,so just layer on another thin layer with a damp, not wet, spatula and smooth out to your likeness,,I fixed mine that way,,but it was frustrating..it will work,,,yet more time on your hands to fix..UNLESS someone else has a better idea!

Good luck1

mrscunningham Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 24

I managed to get it half way decent and am hoping that the viva method will make it look tons better.. I still have two more tiers to cover, so I will def try to thin it out a little more..

mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 24

Yep, thin it out. As the recipe states it is always too thick for me. This happened to me he first time I used it. She says on her tutorial that the crumb coat should be thinner, makes for an easier spread. What I usually do is make my batch, pull out all but what I need for my crumb coat and set it aside. Then I add more half n half to the remaining until it is the texture I like for my crumb coat. She has pictures of her "finger poke" test on here somewhere. It's great frosting once you figure it out.

mrscunningham Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 24

The crumb coat was fine.. It is the finishing coat I am having problems with. It seems to be pulling the crumb coat off the cake

KayMc Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 24

If the final coat of frosting is too thick, it will pull the crumb coat off the cake (happened to me). If you thin out the frosting you're using now, the crumb coat will probably stay on.

mrscunningham Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #10 of 24

I finally got everything frosted and let it set, and now it has cracked everywhere. What the hell am I supposed to do now.. Seriously considering covering everything in fondant. : (

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:13am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscunningham

I finally got everything frosted and let it set, and now it has cracked everywhere. What the hell am I supposed to do now.. Seriously considering covering everything in fondant. : (

That recipe always gets fractures in it when I make it, too. I've switched to TonEdna's recipe which uses meringue powder instead of Dream Whip and corn syrup which seems to give it better elasticity. I use 1 TBSP. of vanilla extract (not a tsp) and twice as much milk to make it easier to spread. This icing works like a charm every time.

http://designmeacake.com/bcrec.html

mrscunningham Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #12 of 24

Thanks, Ruth.. Any tips on how to fix the cakes I have already iced or do you think that covering it with fondant is the best bet. The cake needs to be delivered tomorrow morning at 10:30

madgeowens Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #13 of 24

If you chill the cake with the crumb coat then you would be able to put the bc on top...thats what I do....if its too soft it pulls it off the cake...more moisture will make it worse I would think, and it wont crust

jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #14 of 24

I'm sorry but It may not be funny to you and I feel badly too, but when you said "what the hell can you do now",,I chuckled because I know it's frustrating but the way you worded it, it was funny. PLEASE don't take this as an offense..

Anyways,,,I would fondant it if I were you! That way no worries about transporting also.

Try the butterream recipe that was suggested by ruth..I'm going to try it. I also was told if you put a dash of vinegar in Ideby's icing,,it will help with no cracking..I believe it does..and it does NOT alter the taste,,promise..I tried it last night.

Best of luck..
jenifer

mrscunningham Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:51am
post #15 of 24

Jenifer,

I actually had a quick giggle when I read your post.. I scraped off the indydebi recipe and went with my own. It is working out much better, but I am up a little later than I wanted to be. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 24

Oh, man, I've had those nights. I see you posted at 3:51 AM.

It sounds like you made the right decision to scrape it off and start over. I've done that myself on a few cakes and I was glad I did. You just don't ever want to deliver a cake that isn't as pretty as you can make it. If you're like me, ever bone in your body hurts today. I hope you can give yourself a little break today and be proud that you did right by your bride.

jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #17 of 24

What is your recipe like? Just curious? I"m glad you didn't take it personnal. I hope it all works out for you and post your pic once done. Loved to see it!

God bless
Jenifer

mrscunningham Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #18 of 24

I am not completely satisfied with the cake, but it was a lot worse with the cracked icing. My recipe is 1 3/4 lbs of powdered sugar, 1 cup butter, 1 cup crisco, 1 tbsp meringue powder, and coffee creamer added to hot milk in a separate cup until the coffee creamer is dissolved. I then add a piece of ice to cool the coffee creamer mixture down and add the liquid to the frosting a little at a time until desired consitency. I cream the butter and crisco with my meringue powder for 3-5 min with my KA. I am posting it now in my pics. Thank you guys for all the support! CC is the best!

jenscreativity Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #19 of 24

awesome thanks!! I will try it! Going to ck out your pic now.

adventuregal Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:27am
post #20 of 24

indydebi's recipe has always been an issue for me, but I hope you get it worked out *sending good cake juju* thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:24am
post #21 of 24

The Dream whip is going to make it crust. Jeneva's cakes in Maryland gave me her recipe ten years ago and I have been using it ever since. It crusts nicely and doesn't require meringue powder. It's 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla 1/3 cup water (milk or creamers). Whip until light and fluffy. Frost let sit for ten minutes and smooth with paper towel of your choice. I like patterns so I rarely use Viva unless I want it perfectly smooth. Hope your day turned out better.

mrscunningham Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 24

The one I replaced it with crusts, but softly. The indydebi frosting crusted like stucco. icon_sad.gif I thought it was the fat to sugar ratio that made it crust and that is why indydebi's crusts so much.. she has a 1:2 fat to sugar ratio

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #23 of 24

i just came across this thread (been busy this weekend with son's wedding).

For those who are finding the icing crusts "too much", I would venture that there is too much sugar/not enough fat in the mix. This is a "until it looks right" recipe so tweak it until it works for you. When mine turns too thick, I generally add more milk.

To the person whose icing crusted like stucco ...... definitely needed for fat and/or milk.

To the OP with the problem of the crumb coat sliding off .... did you freeze the cakes prior? Sometimes this happens with me and I always freeze my cakes. If I crumb coat them too soon, the moisture can build a 'wall' under the crumb coat. And if the top coat is too thick, you can get this result.

Just made my son's cake thsi weekend and the top coat of icing started to do the same thing, but if you remember to gently push the icing onto the crumb coat and not try to "ice" the cake, it will work. Never let the icing spatula touch the crumb coat (just like when icing a cake, the spatula should only touch the icing and never the cake).....just gently push the top coat of icing into place.

My crumb coat started to 'move' also, but with this technique it turned out very nice! thumbs_up.gif

mrscunningham Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #24 of 24

Indydebi,

I am the OP and the one who mentioned the frosting crusting like stucco. I am a huge fan of yours and was so excited to try the recipe, I didn't think to use it first and tweak it before I put it on cake. icon_smile.gif I did freeze the cakes. I don't normally do a crumb coat, and I'm not entirely sure why I did one this time. I will try your recipe again in the future with more fat. I was very stressed out with this whole ordeal and am very grateful for your response to my post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%