Panic Button - Not Baking Through

Baking By SweetKath Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 1:47am by Renaejrk

SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 5

The 8x3 WASC cake has been in the oven now for 1+hrs. The outside is a nice color but the center is not cooking through.... Any suggestions? Also, not sure if I overfilled the pan - while it is level the cake has risen just up to the top of the pan. If it cooks through without the outer edges being over cooked it will be a nice cake. Yikes! Any suggestions???

4 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe try putting a foil collar around the cooked outer edges? I know that works when your pie crust edges are getting too dark, not sure if it would be the same for cake. Next time, try putting a flower nail in the center of your cake to aid in more thorough baking. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 5

Taller cakes are always a little more difficult - I have had issues with that before too. Definitely use a flower nail - a big one if you can find it. For now I think the collar idea might help icon_smile.gif

SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for replying! I actually made 2 cakes today to see if there was a difference in techniques. Here is what I found:

Cake#1 (Panic Post Cake!) - Used a flower nail & heat wrap (wet silver wrap - forgot what it is called). It ended up taking about 1hr 20 minutes to finish baking. I let it cool for about 10 - 15min but the bottom stuck to the pan. The cake tastes great! Since it was so tall (4in) I was able to salvage it.

Cake #2 - Used flower nail only; parchment paper in the bottom. Took about 1hr 20 min to bake. Noticed more of a dome shape on this cake. Let it cool for 20-25 min and came out of the pan perfect! Again, great taste!

Both cakes formed a "crust" over the top. Thicker than I am used to seeing. I used a basic Wilton leveler to level both cakes. Had to use a cake knife to start the cut though. Any thoughts on avoiding the crust, or is it normal for this type of cake? Overall, the cake is a hit with the family.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

I have had problems with the crusting when I try to do a really tall cake. Maybe some experts would have advice for us on this! (other than bake 2 2" cakes instead - lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%