B/c Hi-Ratio Is So $$$ Would / Could You

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 1:02pm by bakencake

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 18

Because Hi-Ratio is so expensive and I am just baking for family/friends could you use half hi-ratio and half crisco .. or like how some ppl use half butter and have shortening in a recipe could you do half butter and quarter crisco and quarter hi-ratio?

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 18

I use crisco only and I am a home based business.I bought the High ratio from my local restaraunt supply company....it was their own name brand high ratio..I paid $137.00 for a 40lb box...I hated it...My colors separated....it was MORE greasy than crisco etc...needless to say I spent alot of money on this "special shortening" and hated it..Now I realize that Sweetex and Alpine are some of the best High ratio but I just can't get it here unless I paid enormous shipping amounts.If you are only baking for family and friends...I say stick with Crisco...It really is the best IMO...icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 18

i've used crisco only for 30 years. And I mean CRISCO .... no other brand.

I used a cheaper shortening ONCE! roses melted and fell off of the cake. that was over 25 years ago, LONG before this zero trans fat thing was an issue.

Have used crisco ONLY ever since with no regrets and no reason to change.

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 18

I second that Indy!!!!

cakesbycathy Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 18

I use the Aldi brand of shortening and it works perfect for me. I can't see going out to buy expensive shortening when everyone loves my frosting recipe. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

cakeythings1961 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I use the Aldi brand of shortening and it works perfect for me. I can't see going out to buy expensive shortening when everyone loves my frosting recipe. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can you share your recipe? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to using hi-ratio! Thanks icon_smile.gif

jackie1053 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 18

Hi-ratio shortening is mostly used for the cake - not the icing. It blends somewhat better in your cake batters but not critical. Unless you do a LOT of baking and use it for more that just cakes, i wouldn't make the investment. Our bakery uses it only for certain cakes where it actually makes a difference.

iamcakin Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1053

Hi-ratio shortening is mostly used for the cake - not the icing. It blends somewhat better in your cake batters but not critical.

I disagree.
I have never used hi-ratio as a cake ingredient, and ALWAYS use it butter-cream. icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 18

Never used high ratio,,,only walmart brand or Crisco(mainly)..no need to change it up when everyone likes it!

Save yourself money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 18

iamcakin.... iamwithyou Sweetex in all my icings.. I also use it in cake recipes too, but every icing for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 18

Some hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for CAKE.
Other hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for ICING.
Still other hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for EITHER.

bakencake Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 18

Im glad this post came up. I thought I was the only one using crisco. I always thought that hi-ratio was the end all and thought I was missing out on something great.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Some hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for CAKE.
Other hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for ICING.
Still other hi-ratio shortenings are formulated for EITHER.

Ohh snap, I went out and bought some Hi-ratio from a local bakery/decorating store (8.99 for a 2lb tub) and it's just says "high-Ratio" shortening, it's in a plain container w/ a peal and stick label, so I am guessing they but a big ole batch and ration it out into the lil tubs and sell to the public (my guess I don't know for sure) - so now I have super expensive hi-ro and I am not sure if it's for cakes or frostings (I wanted it for frosting)

I also went to Aldi (sp?) and bought what they have, it is called Carlini and it's a 0 trans fat (boo I was looking for some w/ the fats. I thought I saw somewhere that Aldi had shortening w/ 3grams of trans fat)

I can't but laugh at myself for running all around town and I am still not sure what I got and how to use it! lol

cakesbycathy Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:06am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Can you share your recipe? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to using hi-ratio! Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 sticks butter
1 8oz pkg of cream cheese
1 1/4 cups shortening
1 T. clear vanilla
1/2 cup warm non-dairy creamer
4 lbs. powdered sugar

Cream the first 5 ingredients. When smooth add 2 lbs powdered sugar. beat until smooth. Add remaining 2 lbs powdered sugar. Beat on high for approx 5-8 minutes.

cakeythings1961 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #15 of 18

Thanks, cakesbycathy!

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1053

Hi-ratio shortening is mostly used for the cake - not the icing. It blends somewhat better in your cake batters but not critical.

I disagree.
I have never used hi-ratio as a cake ingredient, and ALWAYS use it butter-cream. icon_smile.gif

I also disagree with that. I don't use shortening in any of my cakes, I use vegetable oil if it calls for oil. I use Sweetex exclusively in my buttercream and it is vastly better than the store brand shortening I used before. I've never used Crisco brand so it may be better than other store brands, but I only pay $62 for 50 pounds of Sweetex that I can get locally so I don't have to pay shipping. I'm sure I couldn't buy Crisco that cheap.

You can also generally use a little less high ratio than the cheaper shortenings. It gives the buttercream a much better "mouth feel", i.e., you don't get the gross grease on the roof of your mouth feeling like you do with grocery store cake icing.

To answer your question, yes, you can mix and match shortening and butter. I often use half butter and half high ratio in my buttercream.

JanH Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #17 of 18

Sweetex is a cake and icing shortening.
Alpine is an icing shortening.

Either one will produce a creamier (no "greasy mouth" feel), more stable and heat resistant icing than an AP (all purpose) shortening. (And some AP's can contain animal fat, so be sure to read the labels.) But if you're happy with your AP b/c's there's certainly no reason to change anything. icon_smile.gif

Additionally, the recipe/s you use (for either AP or hi-ratio shortening) make/s a huge difference, as there are many additives that can be used to improve the performance characteristics of AP shortening based buttercreams. IndyDebi's Crisco based recipe uses Dream Whip for example, but other recipes use icing base, meringue powder, cornstarch or even flour as a stabilizer.

Both AP and hi-ratio shortening have their uses and some b/c recipes are definitely better than others. And cost can be a consideration (but I've found hi-ratio can be substituted in Crisco recipes at a lesser proportion) so it really all boils down to a matter of personal preference and performance requirements.

Whatever you choose to use as long as it works for you - it's all good. thumbs_up.gif

bakencake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:02pm
post #18 of 18

as I read sweetmonkeycheese's post i was laughing so hard because like her I too am running all over town buying shortening....shortening!!!!lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%