Cake Serving

Decorating By majormichel Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 11:59am by majormichel

majormichel Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 4

I don't understand the difference in serving a 8" round one layer and 8" round 2 layer. I read a one layer serves less than the 2 layer. I thought all is the same serving regardless of how much layers is on the cake. Please explain.

A sheet cake for wedding 12 x 18, is it usually one layer or two layers with filing?

3 replies
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

The standard cake serving is 8 cubic inches of cake.

A one layer cake will only be 2" tall, therefore you must cut a piece that is 2 X 2 X 2.

A two layer cake will be 4" tall, therefore you cut a piece that is 1 X 2 X 4.

"Fun with math.

I don't do sheet cakes for weddings, but whether it has one or two layers and filling or not depends on what you sold to the customer. Around here a sheet cake is 2" tall, no filling. However, a kitchen cake is 4 tall, with filling.

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 4

It's just logical. If you have a single layer cake vs. a double layer cake, then the double layer cake will have twice as much cake. If you are cutting the double layer cake the exact same as you cut a single layer cake, then you are giving the person twice as much cake in each piece. Otherwise, you are giving cake away.

you're not cutting these into pie-shaped wedges, like we do when we're watching TV late at night with a big glass of milk. See my "how to cut a wedding cake" link (in signature).

majormichel Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:59am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%