Decorating By JustBakedCakes Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm by cakeandpartygirl

JustBakedCakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:27am
post #1 of 5

I have made my own MMF in the past and it has been way to soft to hold it shape. I posted about that a few weeks ago. My new quetion is Can I make the MMF and add RTU gumpaste to it to get a better consistency? I guess that would be a 50/50 mix right? Or do I have to use the gumtex in my MMF mixture?

4 replies
tootie0809 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 5

If you are covering a cake with the MMF, I personally wouldn't add GP to it. When I first started making MMF, it was way too soft too. I was really frustrated with it. I would try adding more powdered sugar to firm up your MMF. Are you allowing it to rest overnight? Once you get the hang of it, MMF is so easy and great to work with. Good Luck!

Stacey75 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

I think you need more sugar. I use MMF all of the time and it looks great! Since MMF doesnt stretch so well I usually get a vinel table cloth and cut it into large squares. Roll it out on one, put another on top to flip it, peel the top one off then put it on the cake and peel off the vinel. It really supports it. Good luck!!!

JustBakedCakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not using it to cover the cake. I have to make penguins and just wanted to firm up the MMF. I guess I'll just use the RTU stuff ny its self!! TFTH!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 5

You can use half and half to firm it up to make figures or add tylose powder or gumtex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%