Piping Flowers With Smbc - Having Trouble

Decorating By tsal Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:21am
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I love everything about SMBC - it's smoothness, flavour, and I'm getting better at making it look really smooth on a cake.

My issue is that when I attempt to pipe flowers or even a shell border, it's too soft. I know that the heat from my hands doesn't help, but it seems that when SMBC is at the consistency it is supposed to be (like soft-serve ice cream or mayo from what I've read here on CC), it's too soft to begin with. Am I doing something wrong?

I have resorted to a crusting bc for details, but I would love to know if there is a way to pipe SMBC so it doesn't look squishy (for lack of a better term).

Thanks!

12 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:35am
post #2 of 13

SMBC and IMBC are not good for piping. WBH mixes half SMBC and half House Buttercream when they need to decorate. I don't know if you could mix a crusting buttercream with SMBC though.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 13

I pipe borders and roses with SMBC all the time... perhaps try gently chilling it first? What recipe are you using?

tsal Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 13

I found the recipe on the net. I'll post it later when I get home.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 13

I read somewhere that the heat from your hands while piping is what does you in. Fill two pastry bags. Keep one in the fridge while you pipe a little with the other. Then switch them out. That way you are always working with firm, cold icing. Another tip is to place your piped roses/flowers in the freezer as soon as you make them. They'll freeze and set. They'll thaw to a nice soft texture, but will hold their shape better than if you hadn't frozen them.

I don't care for SMBC or IMBC, and don't use them much. So I can't vouch for these tips. But I remember it being a trusted authority that I got them from.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I pipe borders and roses with SMBC all the time... perhaps try gently chilling it first? What recipe are you using?

I pipe borders with SMBC too. I have not done roses yet. But in my photos all the cakes shown ther use SMBC.

When you post your recipe, we can tell better. Also if i am not adding a flavor such as vanilla, mocha, etc. I always add white chocolate to my SMBC. That may be why i can pipe borders.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 13

[quote="LindaF144"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

When you post your recipe, we can tell better. Also if i am not adding a flavor such as vanilla, mocha, etc. I always add white chocolate to my SMBC. That may be why i can pipe borders.

IMBC is the only buttercream I use, and I also add melted white chocolate too it. It does make it a lot firmer, try adding some to your next batch icon_smile.gif

tsal Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 13

Here's my recipe (I actually cut the original recipe in half because my mixer cannot handle a full batch of this). I got the recipe on the net somewhere (I don't remember which site). Now that I'm thinking about it, could it be because it doesn't say to let the egg whites cool in the mixer once mixed (it just says to start adding the butter after the whites/sugar mixture has turned white and doubled in size). What do you think?

1 cup of egg whites
1.5 cups of sugar
5 sticks of butter
7.5 ml pure vanilla extract

Whisk egg whites and sugar together in a big metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk occasionally until you cant feel the sugar granules when you rub the mixture between your fingers.

Transfer mixture and whip until it turns white and about doubles in size (heres a tip: when you transfer to the mixer, make sure you wipe the condensation off of the bottom of the bowl so that no water gets into the egg whites. This can keep them from whipping up properly).

Add the vanilla.

Finally, add the butter a stick at a time and whip, whip, whip.

LindaF144a Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 13

You use more butter than i do. I use a ratio of 1,2,3 - so it would be 5 ounces of egg whites, 10 ounces of sugar and 15 ounces of butter. I use 16 ounces of butter because having one little thing of butter left over is a pain. Your recipe has 5 ounces egg whites, 10.5 ounces sugar (close enough), and 20 ounces of butter (out of ratio).

5 sticks of butter is 20 ounces. That may be why it is too soft to pipe. Just a guess, but try backing off on the last stick and see what the frosting acts like. You can always add it back in.

tsal Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 13

I will try omitting one stick of butter and adding some white chocolate - how much should I add? Also, does the white chocolate make the icing sweeter?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

SMBC and IMBC are not good for piping. WBH mixes half SMBC and half House Buttercream when they need to decorate. I don't know if you could mix a crusting buttercream with SMBC though.

Not true. Many people on CC pipe exclusively with SMBC/IMBC. My most beautiful piped roses are done with these.

Keep your bag cold. Have a couple of bags filled with the color and toss in refrigerator. Pull one out and use until softened and toss back in.

LindaF144a Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

I will try omitting one stick of butter and adding some white chocolate - how much should I add? Also, does the white chocolate make the icing sweeter?

Ghirardelli comes in 4 ounce bars, so I use one bar for the 5 egg recipe. And no it doesn't make it sweeter, just gives it a depth of flavor that is not butter.

tsal Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 13

Now I'm excited to try my new altered recipe - less butter and white chocolate. I will try it and report back!

Thanks to all who took time to respond - if anyone else cares to chime in, I will be checking back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%