Help Please With Red Buttercream!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By Djor Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 3:33am by beenie51

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 12

I had a elmo cake for tomorrow and I can't get my buttercream red it came out like fushia or dark pink help icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

11 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 12

what kind of buttercream are you trying to color? (american, IMBC, or SMBC?)

What brand of coloring are you using?
What color are you using in that brand?

Djor Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 12

american buttercream, I use americolor

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 12

what color red are you using? I use Super Red and have no problems getting a true red. It's possible you may have to add more. Also red will darken over time so it's really best to make it a day ahead of time to see what the true color of it will be.

Djor Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #5 of 12

Yes is a super red but i think i put a lot already, do you think if I let that sit until tomorrow will ger the red now is like dark pink

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 12

That red gets dark overnight and then even darker on the cake, I've used Super Red for 2 years and I still gotta remind myself, the last couple cakes I used it on I added too much it looked red in the container and when it dried it was almost burgandy red. Let it sit and dry put some out on a paper towel and watch it change. Good luck!!

Djor Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 12

Thanks I will see tomorrow thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 12

Dont know if this is too late, but this helped me ( see rainbow cake in my pics, the red was an Elmo red, looks brighter in pic due to flash). I started by tinting my buttercream with wilton rose to get a deep rose color. I let that sit 30 minutes, THEN I added the wilton no taste red and let that sit 30 minutes. Got a great red from it. No other method has worked for me. Hope this helps you some.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #9 of 12

Is superred...americolor? When I made Elmo I just added a crap load of the no taste red(wilton) and just mccormack red....I also like to start with pink marshmellows when making mmf that will be pink or red....

momacat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momacat Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 12

you have to use alot of the red color and mix it up ahead of time you have to let it sit a while and it will darken on its own but it takes a lot of the red coloring.

Djor Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:50am
post #11 of 12

Thanks chrissypie I would try that technique too and thanks madgeowens
for your help thumbs_up.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #12 of 12

I have also started with a deep orang and then added the red color. Depending on the amt of buttercream you are making red will also change the amt of Red color. The color will deepen overnight. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%