Can Anyone Tell Me

Decorating By love2frost Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 3:10am by cheatize

love2frost Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

what the cake "people" on all of the tv shows are putting on their cake layers before they're putting the filling on. Some of them "paint" it on with a paint brush and others use a bottle and squirt it on. I'm assuming it's some kind of flavoring but I'm not sure. Thanks!!

6 replies
Tellis12 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

Probably some kind of simple syrup. Some people use it to help keep the cakes moist. That's my best guess.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 7

Some version of simple syrup, it helps keep the cakes moist and maybe gives their cakes the yum factor associated with their bakeries.

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 7

It's properly called a wash, and yes, its a simple syrup. I use it on every cake. And no my cakes aren't dry to start with.

love2frost Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much! I'm thinking about trying it! I bet you could add some neat flavors to your cakes with this stuff!

sweetlybaked Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

Leah, I've always wondered...does it make your cake soggy? My cakes are moist to begin with, it reminds me of a tres leches cake when soaked in simple syrup...GROSS. Is it the same affect?

cheatize Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 7

I'd love to know how much to put on. The one time I did it, I put on way too much and ended up with cake mush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%