Store Fondant

Lounge By JustGettinStarted Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 1:28am by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 3

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been answered, but the search isn't working tonight. I was wondering 2 things:

1. How do you store unused MM fondant? Is it possible to freeze it or do I just leave it crisco-coated and wrapped in a bag?

2. How far ahead can I make MMF to use to cover a cake?

Thanks a lot! I hate asking a question that's already been answered, but like I said, the search isn't working icon_sad.gif

2 replies
trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 3

I coat in crisco and double wrap, then seal in an airtight container. I make a lot of cakes so I don't know how long it would actually last, but I have gone weeks without using it all - and as long as no air gets to it then it stays fresh. I make tons of fondant at one time then store til I run out. Hope this helps.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I usually make 3 lbs at a time (normal MMF recipe) and color what I think I need, but always have some left over. I'm doing 6 cakes in the next 2 weeks and some of them will be using the same colors of fondant and I didn't want to have to try to make them twice. Or if I had a little left over from cake 1 and needed it for cake 2, I didn't want to worry about them not matching. Thanks so much. I usually throw it away so it will be nice to save some money! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%