Cupcake/cake Stand Rental?

Decorating By Stephy42088 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm by sweetcakes

Stephy42088 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 5

Do you guys charge for cupcake tree or cake stand rental when making a cake/cupcakes for customers? I charged $35 for a wedding cupcake tree a few weeks ago. It was just square, white cardboard and then I put black ribbon around it. I charge $10 more than what I purchased it for and the bride was very happy with it. However, I feel like some customers get turned off that I charge for rental. What do you all think? And how much is the "normal range" to charge for various sizes of stands?

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 5

Why on earth would anyone get upset when they are charged a rental fee...That is what they are doing...borrowing it/renting it from you...They can't expect you to "Throw it in for free" considering most would just discard it anyway...It is no different when decoraters charge for stands,pillars,fountains etc..If the product does not come back or is damaged...The rental fee/damage deposit is there to cover the cost of a new item.Who cares if they get mad..Tell them to make their own stand then....

HobbyCaker Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 5

It's the old "I want something for nothing" attitude. They figure they pay you for the cake/cupcakes and your are suppose to bend over backwards and reward them by throwing in the stand for free. I have made and sold several stands in the past few months. Mainly to other cakers in my area and guess what, they RENT them out, they do not just let their customers USE them. I know its's the economy thing and everyone is trying to save money, but you know what, this is the way Cake Decorators make their living. Guess if you fly and you need a vehicle when you get there , where ever you go is suppose to just give you a car to USE just because you came to their city? Weird analogy, but it makes sense to me. icon_lol.gif

OK off my soap box, sorry! I am in a bad mood!

(Of course it has nothing icon_wink.gif to do with the fact that a "friend of a friend" asked me to BORROW one of my stands that I spent hours of my time and my $$ on.)

Stephy42088 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

Thanks!! I suppose I already kind of knew the answer but needed to hear it because sometimes I just feel bad! lol I know I shouldn't but I think it's just my nature. I do a lot of cupcakes, anyone know what is a good range to charge for rental? I've been charging anywhere from $15-$35 but sometimes I feel like its too cheap and other times I feel like its too much! Ahh all of the questions, I should be more confident in my business!

sweetcakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

I only charge a rental if i get a call and they need a stand to go under the cakes they have bought else where, i charge a fee and a deposit.

If im making the cake then i tell them i wont charge them a fee to use it just the deposit. Its a selling point as i do tell them that the other local bakery will charge a $50 rental fee. I have them so they might as well be used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%