How Do I Stop Icing Bulging Out Of Layers

Decorating By bntbushnell Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 1:24am by Maria925

bntbushnell Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

I must be missing something, Ive tried not spreading the icing in between layers all the way to outter edges of cake, but once the cake settles I always end up with the ring around the cake look... help!

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

You would want to spread the icing in between the layers all the way to the edge. Any air pockets will squeeze out eventually.

When you fill the cake, before you crumbcoat even, wrap it, then let it sit overnight. This will allow the cake to settle. Sugarshack has a great tip to speed the settling up. She gets ceramic floor tiles (about one foot square sized) and sits those on the cake once it's wrapped. It speeds up the settling time and helps to flatten out the top.

CWR41 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Sugarshack has a great tip to speed the settling up. She gets ceramic floor tiles (about one foot square sized) and sits those on the cake once it's wrapped.

Not Sugarshack...
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-trick.html

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 6

I always create a dam of buttercream frosting (or whatever frosting I'm using on the outside of the cake) around the inside edges of the cake before filling. That way, the dam (looks like a ring around the inside edges - you can pipe it on) keeps your filling in.

Once you make a dam, put your filling in, spread to to the inside edges of your dam, making it level and then put your next layer on. Crumb coat your cake, and then at that time, you can lay a tile or something with a little bit of bulk on top of it to squish out any air pockets, and to help the cake settle a little bit before you do your final layer of frosting and any fondant icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

Rose! icon_surprised.gif

Maria925 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 6

I have now learned that the dam is a must (at least for me). When I use the dam (and I make it very stiff by adding PS to my frosting) the cake is fine. But on the last one I did, I didn't dam because the filling was the same as the frosting. MISTAKE! It squished out and even after settling for most of the day and then going over with the final icing, it still had a ring. Lesson learned....I will always use a dam!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%