...get A Leather Effect On Fondant?

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 11:17am by Kahlua

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a leather effect on fondant for a purse cake? I thought there would be something on that in the forum but didn't see any. TIA.

5 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

In a pinch.. I have used saran wrap made into a ball and that has made an impression that worked.

Since then, I have bought the impression mats in the craft store (leather, brick, stone, paws..... )

HTH

Vicki

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

Use that "elephant skin" to your advantage! For the cake I'm attaching, I rolled the fondant out and let it sit, manipulating it every few minutes to help the cracks form then dry dusted with lusted dust all over, then placed on the cake. I did have to go back and dry dust the places where it cracked more and you could see the white. HTH.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1205561

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:49am
post #4 of 6

VLK - Thanks for that tip. I need a subtle impression on the fondant and seran wrap sounds like a great idea!

Koryak- I LOVE the leather on your bronze purse - I have to keep that in mind for texture. I haven't come across elephant skin before (I use MMF) - I need to try it out. Did you dry dust the bronze and let it dry out for a while before you "crackled" it?
Thanks again for your replies. icon_smile.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

Koryak, Thanks for sharing. Your purse cake looks like you could walk by and pick it up.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:17am
post #6 of 6

I have a piece of vinyl with a leather look (I think it is meant to be used for a table cloth?) and use it like an impression mat, works a treat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%