Decorating By Torilee Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm by Bubbl3h3ad

Torilee Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 12

I've seen tons of cakes here on CC with the quilted look. How do you achieve this? Do you do it after you put the fondant on the cake or before? Is there a tool the does it? I would love nay help? Thanks in advance!!

11 replies
trishvanhoozer Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 12

I have never actually done this yet either, but here is a youtube tutorial

mbark Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 12

I have the diamond impression mat like the one they show on the video. It's kind of tricky to use but it works. The other tool they use looks great but it sells for like $22 at my cake store, so I'll stick with the mat for now.

JenniferMI Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 12

I use the three diamond quilter, VERY easy to use! If you want more info, just PM me. I'm happy to try and help.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 12

I have the plastic impression mat and you use ot after you cover your cake with fondant, it is a little tricky to hold the mat and the cake at the same time icon_cry.gif the diamond quilter tools look much easier.

JenniferMI Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 12

That tool could not be any easier to use. You also can eye it up towards the back to make a perfect seam. You really can't do that with the matts.
I use it in conjunction with the larger toothed stitch wheel. I put a normal layer of icing, then a thin layer of my semi-homemade chocolate fondant, then quilt and stitch away. It looks so impressive - shhhhh....don't tell your customers how easy it is to do icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

disney16 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 12

I just use the fondant embosser and a ruler and you will definetly need to do it once it's already on the cake. I made the mistake of drinking Starbucks prior to decorating so the extra caffeine made my hands a little shakey.

Jada77 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #8 of 12

Not sure if this is a dodgy way to do it but this is how I do it and ppl think its so clever (simple I just dont tell them)

I just lightly score a gird in the fondant about 2cm squared and once that is all neat go along the lines with a tooth pic and prick holes in it...once that is done I add a silver bead to the places where it crosses over. Not sure if that makes sence I will try add a pic.

Scotch__Mist Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:16am
post #9 of 12

I was thinking of trying this but don't have any mats or the stitch wheel. Jada77 If you could post up a pic of one you've done using a toothpick that would be great to the see the effect.

Jada77 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 12

Well this is on the first wedding cake I did last weekend, it turned out well. Also there is one of a anniversary cake I did icon_smile.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 12

I just used the quilting tool, it is very inexpensive, and a ruler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%