Another Baking Question

Baking By Jessy133 Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 9:28pm by AngelFood4

Jessy133 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 4

I was attempting to make a nice two tier cake with the new pans I got yesterday.

The pan was a round 10X3 but after it finished baking it is sooo small!

Up to where should you usually fill your batter for it to come nice and tall?

Also when you guys mix your batters...do you do the recipes double? I made yesterday the CC recipe of Dawns yellow cake, and it wasnt enough to fill the small pan and the larger one. If I double the reciepes do they change or alter in anyway.

Thanks

3 replies
jodilee Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 4

I usually fill my pan at least half full to 2/3 full. Don't know about the recipe you are using but I've never had any problems doubling a recipe, it doesn't change anything.

luddroth Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

For the first question, cake pans are usually filled 2/3 full. Most recipes, at least in the US, are for 2-inch pans. So, if your recipe was enough for a 10-inch diameter, round 2-inch pan, you would not have enough batter for a 3-inch pan.

Multiplying recipes can be tricky, but with most scratch cake recipes, doubling works fine. So, if your recipe is a typical scratch cake recipe, it's meant to fill 2 round 8-inch diameter, 2-inch tall pans. You then split (torte) each cake layer into 2 1-inch layers, fill and stack, and you end up with an 8-inch diameter, 4 inch tall cake.

Understanding that, you have to do the math. A square pan has somewhat more area than a round, so that same recipe will not bake quite as tall in an 8-inch square, but I usually still use the same recipe. For a 10-inch square, I use 1 and 1/2 recipe scratch cake.

The people on CC who use doctored mixes usually know how many cups of batter they need for varying cake sizes and will be more help on that....

AngelFood4 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 4

Here is a link to Wilton that has the number of cups needed in batter for the different cake pans. I use this all the time to figure out how much batter to make and have never had a problem halving or doubling a recipe.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%