Royal Icing Or Rolled Butter Cream...questions From A Newbie

Baking By gen2026 Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm by nanahaley

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am about to take on my first ever batch of decorated cookies. I bake a lot, but I am new to decorating - both cakes and cookies, but I am wanting to do some cookies for my son's football team. This is his senior year and we (my daughter and I)are trying to make it special.

My biggest issue is that I want the cookies to taste great - not just look pretty....because these boys love to eat and they are used to me bringing homebaked goodies to them. So should I used Rolled Buttercream or Royal icing to get the best flavor? Is the NFSC a good one for a beginner to use and does it have a good flavor? our school colors are black and gold and since I have already read about the black staining their lips and mouth, I know to try to limit the amount of black used and try to focus more on gold. I can use some white accents because that is actually one of the school colors as well....black, gold and white, but how do I have white royal icing? just not add coloring............

and for a newbie, would you recommend buying the royal icing (i think this is possible) or making it?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Gen

6 replies
ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 7

I recently tried cookies a couple of months ago. I've never tried rolled buttercream. I used Khalstead's NFSC, Toba Garrett's Glace (doesn't dry rock hard like royal icing, but hard enough to stack) and also used Antonia74's royal icing. All from this site. I liked the glace for taste and glossy appearance. the cookie recipe is very tasty. Good luck!

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #3 of 7

I use RBC and decorate with royal. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like the taste of RBC. You can use your favorite flavor.

The NFSC is a great dough, however I do think it will make it easier if you have a heavy duty mixer when mixing it and the RBC also.

gen2026 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry to be so long in responding..... but thank you for the information! When you say you decorate with royal, do you mean you add the details in royal icing over the RBC? I have been waiting on a custom cutter to come in - and it is here ..... now to attempt my first ever decorated cookies for the play off game later this week!!

Thanks for any other advice you can give.... Unfortunately, I only have a hand mixer.... keep salivating over the kitchenaid's but don't have one yet...........

Thank you for your help!!
Gen

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 11:54am
post #5 of 7

That is correct. Put the RBC on the cookie and then pipe the royal on top of it.

Be careful with that hand mixer. I've known of people burning up their Kitchenaid when mixing the RBC.

Good luck!

gen2026 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for that info! and I thought Kitchenaid's were tough....the reason I wanted one!! I would be devastated to finally get one then burn it up....I would have to have a BIG cry!

Are there recipes for the RBC and the RI on here??

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I am excited but nervous about attempting these cookies!!

Genna

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

I just made NFSC for the first time and they were great. You may have a hard time mixing it with a hand mixer though. When it starts to get thick, you may have to mix the flour in with your hands. The recipes for RBC and RI are on here. I used Antonia74's recipe for royal icing and it worked beautifully. Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%