I Did It! I Did It! I Got My First Order!!

Business By Donnabugg Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 2:55pm by IsaSW

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 7

Well almost..... lol Handed out a business card and customer contacted me a few days later via email with pictures of the cake she wanted. Low and behold...(some of you already know where this is going) She picked out a cake that feeds 60+ people BUT only needs it to feed 6 AND of course has a shoestring budget...phooey!!! nexxxxxxxxt.... icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:50am
post #2 of 7

Awww wtg on getting a contact out of it! Hang in there... maybe there is room for comprimise and you can talk her into something simular but better price for you

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 7

Thanks...I'm not holding my breath but we'll see icon_smile.gif

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:27am
post #4 of 7

Oh, yes! I had a sort-of relative contact me asking me to make her daughter's baby shower cake in January. She wanted to make sure she reserved the weekend far in advance before I was booked. She sent me two photos of what she was looking for and wanted my opinion and a quote on cost. There were two things she was adamant about - the colors pink and lime green and the size the photo showed - 3-tier square cakes.

I cut her a great "family" deal of $150 (it also had extensive fondant decorations on top) with an "oh, by the way" that cake will easily feed 75 + people. Are you planning on that many showing?

I didn't hear back from her for a couple weeks. I figured I had scared her off. I just received an e-mail that said "I just need to feed 30 people. Can we have a smaller cake?" I haven't responded yet.

Don't give up. It seems whenever I think no one will pay the price I'm asking, the next person can't believe the great deal they got. Hang in there!

tuffcookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffcookie Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #5 of 7

Can someone please help me??? i just started to sell cakes..well i want to believe i'm selling them but i think i'm giving them away for free. I have an order for a baby shower cake with a gumpaste carriage on top. The cake will be an 8'' square, i really wanted to add a 6'' on top to make it look nicer but not sure how much i should charge for it. The cake is due on 11/6/10 She also wants a dozen cupcakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:56am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcookie

Can someone please help me??? i just started to sell cakes..well i want to believe i'm selling them but i think i'm giving them away for free. I have an order for a baby shower cake with a gumpaste carriage on top. The cake will be an 8'' square, i really wanted to add a 6'' on top to make it look nicer but not sure how much i should charge for it. The cake is due on 11/6/10 She also wants a dozen cupcakes.

You'll first need to figure up what your cost are for your recipes you're using. THen you'll want to figure up what you're overheads are too (electricity, gas, gasoline to drive your car, water, insurance, taxes, etc...) Then you'll need to determine how much you want to make per hour. Then you can use all of this information to come up with a price for the cake. Once you determine that then you can just take that number and divide it by the total number of servings and you'll have a price per serving for the cake.

HTH

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

She picked out a cake that feeds 60+ people BUT only needs it to feed 6 AND of course has a shoestring budget...phooey!!!

icon_surprised.gif OMG My first real client was like that too.
I only charged her $50 bucks because I wanted to do the cake, my sushi cake I always wanted to do.

Hey you have to start somewhere, I still do it with friends that let me do whatever I want, they let me be creative, I take some money, not what would really cost if they were strangers.

But for people I don't know, I will start doing say minimum order of $200.
I think it was Indi that said here, everybody has minimum. You can not buy 4 slices of a load of bread, you have to buy the whole loaf of bread, even if you only are going to need 4 slices.
I loved that story, I never would thought of it like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%