Cake Tasting With 6" Rounds?

Decorating By kger Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #1 of 16

I have 4 flavors 6" rounds. How would you do a cake tasting with these?

Should I torte? Or cut the 4 into quarters to form a new 6" and then have the fillings and frostings in separate cups? If I quartered, would I want to cut those slices into 2 for the couple? I'm afraid that might make the cakes too crumbly and they would fall apart since there wouldn't be frosting to hold them together.

Please advise.

15 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 16

You can cut it in half, then torte to make a small "half moon" shaped four layer cake.

Then ice...then fridge...

Then after an hour or two, you can cut a nice slice right out of the middle, and narrowly slice off one edge of icing so it looks like it was a nice rectangle cut out of a normal sized cake.

Then feed the rest of the cake to your fam. icon_smile.gif I do it that way too sometimes!

That....or just cut a nice square out of each flavor and then cup up your icings and fillings and let them mix and match.

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 16

Would I want to do 2 squares so they each have their own?

I need to keep them uniced because there will be mixing and matching.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Would I want to do 2 squares so they each have their own?

I need to keep them uniced because there will be mixing and matching.

I usually provide one of each flavor and then two forks....they are going to be married so they can eat off the same cake slice. LOL.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #5 of 16

What about mini cupcakes for each of the flavors.... with icing and filling on side.

Cust can dunk, dip or spread on fillings or frosting and figue out which combination they like the best...

HTH

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 16

I already have the 6" baked. Plus, isn't the consistency of a cupcake a tad different?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 16

I guess I cheat, or just make things REALLy easy. I have a mini bundt pan. I just make these, they are are very pretty. dont have to worry about torting, they make 3" cakes. Then I just take along sample of icing, and the because of the fancy bundt style of the pan, it automatcally makes cutting ridges in the cakes and they can mix and match flavors of cakes and icing.

plus they look really cute on doilies. icon_biggrin.gif

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 16

Cute idea, tesso! I'll have to get some for next time.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 16

They won't eat that much cake....I find mine only take a few tiny bites of each flavor with a tad of each filling....that's another reason to only give them one of each flavor.

I got some nice large Chinet plates. You can cut the 6" in half and wrap the other half for future tastings. Then, cut the largest rectangle you can out of the remaining half of each flavor.

Arrange on the plate...then arrange tiny solo cups (or whatever) of your fillings and icings around the cake squares...then wrap the entire plate tightly in plastic. If you do that several hours before the tasting (or even the night before...then fridge...then take out an hour or two before the tasting) it will be nice and moist and fine.

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #10 of 16

I don't do tastings as I'm just a hobby baker, but we just got married 6 months ago so I remember the tastings well.

Both of the ones we did just cut pieces off of cakes that they had frozen (they were thawed by the time we got them). Then we had an assortment of frostings and fillings that we could try and mix and match. For one we had two small pieces of each flavor and for another it was just one piece. It didn't change a thing as we both picked off of all the cake that was there. We didn't have my piece and his piece. I also wouldn't worry about it being a certain shape. We didn't care. It was about the flavor, not the way the cake looked at that point. Just make sure to have pictures of what you can do.

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 16

It's for a friend and we've already talked about what design she wants. It's a sure thing, more or less, so I'm not necessarily trying to win business or anything, but since hobby baking is all about getting experience, I want to have a nice presentation. I don't know her husband, so I definitely want to make a good impression there so he's not compelled to go looking for cake elsewhere.

Do other people use cupcakes for tastings? Just curious.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #12 of 16

If you have 4 flavors ... and if you want to serve them 4 flavors.....

cut the rounds into 4 pie-shaped pieces. reassemble the pieces so you have one of each of the 4 flavor wedges making a round cake again. (like the pieces in Trivial Pursuit).

This should give you 4 round cakes, with 4 flavors each. Wrap the remaining 3 and throw them in the freezer. you're now ready for the next 3 tastings.

i always served my cakes "naked" at the tasting. This gave them the opportunity to mix-n-match with various icings and fillings. My sample sizes were 2"x2" squares, but sometimes I had one of these quarter-of-a-6"-round. It was PLENTY of cake for 2 people to sample with. SOmetimes there was cake leftover.

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:35am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

cut the rounds into 4 pie-shaped pieces. reassemble the pieces so you have one of each of the 4 flavor wedges making a round cake again. (like the pieces in Trivial Pursuit).

This should give you 4 round cakes, with 4 flavors each. Wrap the remaining 3 and throw them in the freezer. you're now ready for the next 3 tastings.

I'm sure you already know this, but you're bloody brilliant! thumbs_up.gif

Edit: (please excuse my lack of class!)

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:49am
post #14 of 16

I have a rectangle shaped white china platter (got it cheap at crate and barrel) and put 4 squares of cake on the platter. I use those little cheese markers and write the flavor of cake on it and put it on the cake. (I always bake squares with leftover batter and freeze, just remove the square from freezer, cut a hunk and ready to go in an hour). I then put frostings and fillings in matching white china egg cups (also bought at crate and barrel) put them on the platter and write what it is on the outside of the egg cup (all with dry erase marker). I give them forks and napkins and I am done.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #15 of 16

I started baking the cakes in loaf pans and then cutting a slice of cake. I put the fillings and frosting on the side so they can "mix and match" the flavors for their tasting.

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #16 of 16

Great idea, Indydeb! And I like the loaf idea, too! I saw the mini bundt pan at the party store today and was very tempted to purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%