I Want To Get Licensed In New Jersey....now What???

Business By anjaligg Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm by leah_s

anjaligg Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 6

I want to get licensed to sell cakes. I called my town and found out that I can possibly be a home baker. I am in the process of filling out application with the zoning office. Suppose it gets approved, then what's next??

How do I get started with a website (possibly free)? How do I get myself registered? Should I get a lawyer to do it all? I am lost!!!

5 replies
anjaligg Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:32am
post #2 of 6

...looking for some feedback please!!! Thanks you detective.gif

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

You need to call your local Health Department to find out if you can get a food service or catering license. If the local depart of Health doesn't license, then call the State Depart of Ag for licensing.

Then register your business name with your Secretary of State.

Call your insurance agent and start shopping for liability insurance.

Decide if you prefer to be an LLC, S Corp or some other corporate structure. Create and file your incorporation papers with yur Sec of St and sometimes also with your local taxing authorities.

Register with State and local Revenue Commissions/taxing authorities.

Prepare for your licensing inspection.

THEN you can think about a website and marketing.

Kimmers971 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

What town are you in? Last I heard a home bakery in NJ was a big NO-NO, so I'm interested in finding out if things have changed.

Thanks & Good Luck!

floral1210 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 6

I, too, have done research indicating that all goods in NJ had to be baked/cooked in a COMMERCIAL kitchen to be sold. Even when we cook for the homeless shelter with my church, we have to cook it THERE, since they have a commercial kitchen. Nothing can be brought in that has been made at home. Please keep us updated on any change that may have come down the pike recently.

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 6

Hence my advice as step 1 to call about the possibility of getting a license. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%