Gift Box Lid

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm by DinasSugarShack

DinasSugarShack Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 8

I am making a gift box and I want to know how to get the look of a lid on the top of the box. It is a closed box.

Thanks for any tips you can offer

7 replies
scentnita123 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

i made a gift box cake b4 and i covered a piece of styrofoam with fondant bu my lid was slightly elevated...i used dowels and cut them a little higher then the bottom cake..i then lowered the top styrofoam onto the dowels and filled the remaining space with pieces of crinkled white fondant to make it look like tissue paper..I hope this helps

DinasSugarShack Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #3 of 8

The look I am after is the one that looks like the box is closed with the bow on top with a slight lip on the top to make it look more realistically like a box. I am not sure if I am explaining things right.

mum24 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:40am
post #4 of 8

I made a gift box with a bow this weekend. What i did was cut a square out of paper slightly larger than the top of the cake. I then drew a square the size of the cake in the middle of the paper. i then cut a square out of each corner of the paper so that it took off from the outer square but not into the inner square. I used this as a template to cut the fondant and then when laid onto of the cake the flaps fell down either side and i just pinched and tidied the corner.
Im not sure if my directions make sense but hope they are are some help

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:54am
post #5 of 8

Take the cake pan you baked your cake in, and flip it over, dust with corn starch and roll out some gumpaste in the color you want the lid to be. Then place it over the top and slightly down the sides, smooth corners and trim all around. Let dry and when done you will have a nice lid that will fit over the cake and close. HTH

If you check my website there is a shoe box cake (the one with the pink pocketbook) that has a lid I made this way.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:26am
post #6 of 8

I saw cake girl do it and they took a piece of fondant and just covered the cake that was covered in fondant with another piece of fondant. if your cake is a 5 by 5 tall maybe cut the piece 7 by 7 that would make it have a 2in hang over. Make it whatever thickness that you'd like . HTH

TheJollyCakeBakery Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #7 of 8

I've made a few gift box cakes (round, square & rectangular) and have found this method worked best. The preparation of the cake underneath the icing is really important to the finished design, you need to make sure that the top of your cake is nice and flat, and wether you have covered it then in marzipan, buttercream or ganache you want to get a nice smooth surface with sharp edges so it looks more box like.
I then cover the entire cake with a thin layer of foundant icing, and smooth it out, still keeping the edges/corners sharp not rounded. This could be in the colour of the box you want so the edges of box are then completed or I have added strips of different coloured icing vertically round the edge of box (alternating colours etc) to give a striped effect which looks nice, again smooth this out and keep the top of the stripes cut level with top edge of cake.
Right finally on to the lid icon_lol.gif I measure the diameter across the top of cake and down the sides with string to as far as I want the lid to go, then roll out a thickish layer of icing just longer then the diameter you need, dampen lightly with water the top and side of cake where lid is to go, place the lid icing onto cake and smooth down to secure it and using 2 smoothing tools (one on top edge and the other on side edge) I make sure that the lid edges are still nice and sharp, with a pin/needle I then mark a couple of guides round lid to the correct drop length so you have something to follow and then with a sharp knife I follow these guides round sides & cut away the excess icing to leave the lid looking even & neat.I have tried to explain this as easily as possible because its simpler then I have probably made it sound! But I do hope this might be of use to you, once I have uploaded some photos (I only joined this site yesterday!) you could see some of the gift box examples of lids i have made this way icon_smile.gif

DinasSugarShack Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 8

you guys have all been so helpfull, But I have a question. how do you the edges on a rectangle cake to be so sharp? It always ends up being rounded with me

Quote by @%username% on %date%