Piping Gel?? Icing??

Decorating By anastasien Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 5:53am by Unlimited

anastasien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anastasien Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering what kind of icing it is that people use to put the little dots or designs on the sides of cakes, and how it is done? also what kind of icing or piping gel is it that people use when writing on cakes??
thank you

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 5

Usually it is buttercream. You can use a #1, #2, or #3 tip depending on the size dot you want. Squeeze then release pressure and gently swirl to round off the dot. You can use thinned buttercream, #1, #2 tip to write. It is best to practice both techniques on a practice board until you feel comfortable doing it on the cake. Some people find that using cursive writing is easier, others use block letters. The Wilton site has a lot of beginner tips or you can google "how to do buttercream dots", "how to do buttercream writing on cakes" or something similar.

If you are a beginner, you may wish to take the Wilton courses at a local craft store.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 5

I write with a #4 tip (sometimes striped two-tone with white and color, sometimes thinned with water or piping gel).

Although it is faster to write in cursive, printing might be more appropriate for children's cakes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

unlimited, I just watched your video on BC roses on a stick. That was great!!! Thanks so much. It takes forever to do roses the Wilton Way. I've been wanting to try roses on a stick, but haven't seen how it is done until now.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:53am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

unlimited, I just watched your video on BC roses on a stick. That was great!!! Thanks so much.

You're very welcomeI'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

It takes forever to do roses the Wilton Way.

I agreetoo much time putting down your pastry bag, picking up scissors, snipping it off the flat-head nail, putting it somewhere, drop the scissors, pick up the pastry bag again... (and that doesn't include cutting and handling waxed paper squares, if you use them too!) Wilton way = not very productive. If you can switch to the stick = quick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%