Someone Wants To Buy Just The Shoe - Would You Do It?

Business By howsweet Updated 14 Jan 2015 , 7:53pm by asascakes

howsweet Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 29

Obviously they've decided they don't want to pay for my cake and are getting that part somewhere else. I recognized their phone number because it's an really easy one and they were wanting this cake below. I offered them other cheaper options for the pillow.

I don't see a big problem with it, but it feels kind of funny. Opinions?

28 replies
leily Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 29

If you dont' feel comfortable with it then tell them that you don't create the sugar work to sell. That you only create it to accompany a cake (or something to that effect)

Otherwise put a high price on the shoe since you'll be doing it without the cake, but would really make it worth your time.

idgalpal Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 29

I don't think I would sell the shoe separately. I wouldn't want such a beautiful work of art sitting on top of a Walmart cake or even someone's homemade cake.
Your cake is beautiful, BTW!

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

I don't think I would sell the shoe separately. I wouldn't want such a beautiful work of art sitting on top of a Walmart cake or even someone's homemade cake.
Your cake is beautiful, BTW!

I had the same thought as soon as I read the post. I envision it sitting on top of a square cake iced with airbrushed pink buttercream, combed, with very a very large shell border......................

If I did decide to sell just the shoe............I'd charge nearly as much as for the whole cake......................

Rae

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 29

Its gorgeous!!!!!

Yes I would sell them the shoe but only for quite a high price.... I'm doing my first cake topper sale soon...she wanted to order a whole cake from me but supposedly someone else went ahead and ordered a cake from someone else because they wanted a specific flavor from a specific bakery...whatever...but they still wanted me to make the topper we discussed. So I'm selling it but I actually added money onto it from the original quote saying that because no cake was being ordered.

You could say "With cake, the shoe costs this much but without cake, the shoe is this much."

Karen421 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 29

Your cake is gorgeous! I'm not sure if people would associate you with the whole cake. So ask yourself - it if was a "Walmart" type cake with your shoe - would you be happy for people to think you made the whole thing?

G_Cakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #7 of 29

"If I did decide to sell just the shoe............I'd charge nearly as much as for the whole cake......................"

I agree, make the price high so it would be a better value to buy the whole cake including shoe from you!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Your cake is gorgeous! I'm not sure if people would associate you with the whole cake. So ask yourself - it if was a "Walmart" type cake with your shoe - would you be happy for people to think you made the whole thing?

People buy figurines to put on walmart style cakes all the time...I don't think anyone will mistake such a professional looking topper with a walmart cake.... they will be able to tell they bought it somewhere else....

sugarandstuff Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:49am
post #9 of 29

Wow - I love your cake!! Is this supposed to be the Sex in the City shoe from the movie? Looks just like it!! Hmm... I'm not sure if I would just sell the shoe - what if she puts it on a crappy tasting cake.

LuluSweetArt Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #10 of 29

I would absolutely sell the shoe. Honestly, why not? Anybody can see how beautifully it's made and no one is going to confuse it for something made at Costco. Why not salvage a sale out of the situation? Just make sure you charge accordingly for your time and artistry. Your cake is lovely!

KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #11 of 29

Yes, I would sell the shoe - but for more than you had it priced at (just the shoe) before. We do the same thing here... altogether you're getting a "bulk" price, but piecemeal is going to be more expensive.

howsweet Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 29

I think you all make good points. I'm inclined not to do it because I don't think they're getting a Walmart cake - I think they're getting a pillow cake from a competitor. That doesn't bother me, but I don't want to run across a photo online of that shoe atop a sub par cake that looks like I did it but had a bad day or something.

Thanks to all of you, you really helped me think it through. icon_biggrin.gif And thank you so much for the compliments!!

Love2BakeCakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #13 of 29

Blessings Howsweet

I would sell the shoe, but the client would definitely come up off some money for it. People don't realize sugar pieces are labor intensive. Make it worth your while if it's worth it to you.

Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:32am
post #14 of 29

To start, your work is fantastic. I would not sell the shoe. I could only imgaine what type of cake it would be sitting on and my name being associated with it. I have turned down people that wanted it their way and said no! And my name means alot to me and even if you make 100 fantasic cakes and that one piece ends up looking 2nd best, it onlly takes 1 person to say they wouldn't buy it and drag your good name throught the batter sort to speak. be proud of what you are doing and if your questioning yourself, than your heart is already telling you what to do.

Bluebelles Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #15 of 29

No, I agree that your beautiful sugar work should only sit on your beautiful cake.

costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 29

I would do it if I needed the business, but I'd price it high, like other people have said.

Cathy26 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 29

i do sell sugar pieces - i also sell polymer clay brides and grooms made to order - i always feel a bit "why didnt i get to do the wedding cake" too but its still money for something i can do easily so i offer cake toppers on my website now but its a personal thing.

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 29

your shoe and cake are just beautiful. If you sell just the shoe I would make them pay a hefty price for show only icon_lol.gif
I quoted a baby shower cake this week with First Impressions baby on the top. They ended up just asking for the baby and I said ok but the baby wasn't cheap.
That shoe involves so much more work that the baby though so make sure you get a hefty profit for your great work.

melindak30 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 29

Think of yourself as any artist would. Would they frame the Mona Lisa @ Walmarts?

dreamcakesmom Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #20 of 29

I think it depends on if you want to open a can of worms meaning that with the amazing work you produce I'm sure other people at the event would ask and the customer would brag "yeah, her cake was way to expensive but I bought a cheap cake at x which looks just the same and she did the shoe" I can imagine a sting of phone calls asking for detail work they can buy piece mail to place on their grocery store cakes.

smbegg Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 29

Depending on the situation, I might sell. But I think that I am with you and would not sell the shoe if they are not wanting to pay the price for the cake. However if it were someone wanting it for a decoration or something, then I would sell it.

Stephanie

cocobean Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 29

...my vote. Make it worth your time and sell it!

The_Cakery Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:12pm
post #23 of 29

I'm in agreement with most everybody - personally, I wouldn't want my work sitting on top of a cake of lesser quality. It would be too easy for someone to think you did the whole thing. And you might not want that.

asascakes Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 4:59pm
post #24 of 29

AI have a similar situation with a lady who wants to buy cupcake toppers by themselves. I do not want to do it as I have no idea what cupcakes they will be associated with but I don't know how to word it to the customer without sounding rude. What should I say??

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:13pm
post #25 of 29

If they will pay you what it's worth for you to make it, absolutely!  People sell this kind of thing on Etsy all the time.  Why shouldn't you make the money instead of them?

MimiFix Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:29pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

If they will pay you what it's worth for you to make it, absolutely!  People sell this kind of thing on Etsy all the time.  Why shouldn't you make the money instead of them?

That's my opinion, too. Not only would you make money, but your business gets more exposure. If you're adamant, however, about not selling toppers, tell her you do not sell them without your cupcakes.  

costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:04pm
post #27 of 29

Sure, sell them, but charge enough for them that it makes it worth your time.

leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:16pm
post #28 of 29

Sure, I'd sell the shoe, and provide a free cake to go under it.  And amazingly, the shoe + cake price is the same as the shoe price.

Seriously, yeah, I'd sell just the shoe, but I'd charge a $#%@load for it.

asascakes Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 7:52pm
post #29 of 29

AThanks so much ladies. I posted about the cupcake toppers, and I appreciate all your input. I ended up offering to do the toppers and she ended up asking about my cupcake prices (to go along with here cake order and toppers) and is keeping cupcakes in mind now too. So it worked out in my favor! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%