Help Please, Cake Due In 1 Hour

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm by KoryAK

msthang1224 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 13

Now here's my problem. I'm freaking out over. I made a Color Flow and a Royal Icing figure...ummm like you would do a buttercream tranfer. I know you guys know what I'm talking about, yr experts, what am I saying. OMG ok, I'm freaking out again.

So, I need to know, which one to put on my buttercream cake because I know I read somewhere about royal icing breaking down when buttercream is present? Is it true?
Which one of the figures should I use?? I just don't know, PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN STOP FREAKING OUT....THANKS A BUNCH...

12 replies
tavyheather Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 13

yes!!!!!!! royal is sugar based and melts in anything fat based, ie. buttercream! So glad u asked, I made this mistake myslef, my royal icing letters just melted onto the frosting icon_sad.gif

tavyheather Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 13

maybe thr is something u can do to prevent this since u already made glue it using wet royal to wax paper and stick the wax ppr onto the cake?

msthang1224 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 13

Ahhhhhh, thank you sooooooo much. Okay, now I'm starting to think about this. WILL MY COLOR FLOW MELT OR BREAK DOWN TOO??

tavyheather Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 13

no...color flow is royal icing...look at the ingredients...they should be sugar and meringue powder...

CWR41 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 13

I wrote this in another thread...

Yes, grease-free utensils while you're making it, but it doesn't have to be a grease-free surface that you pipe it directly onto, nor completely dried to stop it from breaking down. (moisture is the culprit.)

There's a similar thread from a few days ago that discusses what causes royal icing to break down titled "Deciding between fondant, icing, gumpaste, and buttercream". I'll paste what I wrote below...
Here's the entire thread: can apparently make royal and pipe it directly onto Crisco greased forms and pipe into cooking-sprayed foil-lined lily nails!)

If you'd like to read what others have experienced, TexasSugar says that it's caused by moisture in this thread "question about royal icing":

and here "Royal icing decorations":

my favorite "will piping gel break down royal icing":

another favorite, "Royal Icing Lilies, Cooking Spray...":

Here's the entire link:

I hope this helps so you can stop freakin'!!!

grahamc Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 13

I have used royal icing and color flow transfers on several buttercream cakes without a problem. They have even sat overnight and still were fine. I think it depends on your buttercream. If you have a good crusting buttercream, you should be fine.

msthang1224 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 13

None of the articles will open, it says page not found on all icon_sad.gif

tavyheather Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 13

wht buttercream r u using?

Evoir Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:33am
post #10 of 13

I pipe royal icing lacework onto olive-oiled or Crisco'd acetate all the time. It dries. Then you can pick it off and attach it to the cake - no problems. It doesn't melt.

I have asked my cake dec. supplier how premade RI cupcake toppers go on BC-topped cupcakes, ie do they break down. The answer was NO. So long as there is no excessive moisture. I think it does better on crusted BC than a MBC.

Hope this helps.

msthang1224 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:21am
post #11 of 13

Hi everyone, thank you so much for you're speedy responses. I eventually took a DEEP DEEP BREATHE and sat and thunk it out. Bc, I was told that the figures would breakdown, I figured that, ok, so it can't touch the BC right. So, I thought ok, I need something that can go in between the two, FONDANT, YEAH, I WILL USE FONDANT! So, I traced a silohette of the figure using the a cutout of the picture itself. This I attached to the back RI figure and placed it on my BC cake and it worked, IT WORKED, IT WORKED!! I used RI as a glue and IT WORKED.

Thank you for helping me through my panice attack, do I need a counselor, or what? Lol.

Thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

cakecraft Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:35am
post #12 of 13

Glad it worked out for you icon_smile.gif Good troubleshooting!

KoryAK Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 13

Awesome! But just so you know for next time - you can absolutely use royal on buttercream. I pipe royal onto SMBC ALL THE TIME and have never had an issue. Happy caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%