Hells Kitchen - Did You See The Cake?!

Lounge By bakingpw Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 2:20am by cheatize

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 5

Yes, my "guilty pleasure" is watching Hell's Kitchen (I do love to cook). Did you see this weeks episode, where they celebrated the 100th episode. It was a black tie event. There was a huge, 5 tiered cake with 4 of the tiers wrapped with edible ink pictures of the contestants/seasons. The fondant appeared to be pink - terrible bubbles everywhere! I'm shocked at how awful this cake looked! Surely in LA, someone could have done a better job.

4 replies
suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't seen that episode yet, but I recorded it on my DVR so I'll watch it tonight. I'll be sure to pay extra-close attention to the cake!

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

I did see that and I thought the fondant didn't look too great icon_eek.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I won't say the cake look bad, but there was something I couldnt' put my finger on. I think my overall opinion is the tiers looked short or squatty, but i am sure it's because the ribbon of photos PLUS the bead border took up so much surface space that it made the tiers look short. It's probably just my personal preference but I'm not a fan of squatty looking cakes.

The photos looked great and I just kept thinking about whoever had to roll out the fondant big enough to cover that bottom tier! icon_surprised.gificon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 5

I did indeed see it. I even got up from the couch and walked across the room to be closer to the tv. I thought it looked "off" because I am nearsighted and the tv is at least 13 ft. from the couch.

I thought it could have looked a whole lot better. I kept thinking, "Here he is going on and on about how special this dinner is and that cake does not live up to his expectations of the contestants."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%