Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By suzieQ929 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 5:45pm by cakeythings1961

suzieQ929 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I cannot seem to find it (its been a very long morning already!)

So, can anyone tell me how long cream cheese frosting will last in the refrigerator in a sealed container? My thinking initially is that it would last as long as the cream cheese did not expire...but then I thought more and thought that was wrong.

I made WAY TOO MUCH cream cheese frosting two weeks ago, and immediately put it in the refrigerator in a tupperware type container....is it bad?

I'd appreciate any input on this, and apologize for the newbie question, but I'm dying to know! Cream cheese frosting is my favorite!
Thanks!!

3 replies
cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 4

Cream cheese has a loooooong shelf life....I've got some in my fridge right now that don't expire until next March! I've kept extra cream cheese icing in the fridge for about 2 weeks with no problem, but usually I freeze leftovers. I use Edna's crusting cream cheese recipe, which has butter and shortening.

I'm sure somebody will contradict me, but at this point I'd say either use the icing or put it in the freezer. icon_smile.gif

suzieQ929 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply cakeythings....I think I may freeze it now and then take it out as I just was asked to make a cake with cream cheese frosting for Halloween. How long do you freeze yours for? Or I should ask, how long have you frozen yours for? Thanks again icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 4

I use it so often that I don't have to keep it frozen for very long. But last winter I had foot surgery and didn't do any serious caking for about 6 weeks. All of the icings I had in the freezer during that time did just fine, including the cream cheese. BTW, after defrosting, I usually give it a spin in the KA to revive the smooth texture. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%