Well, At Least It Was Just A Practice Cake For Me.

Baking By trixieleigh Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 2:47am by madgeowens

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 14

OK...what did I do wrong?! I made the Hershey's Cocoa Chocolate Cake on the back of the container for the first time. I used the Special Dark Cocoa, and substituted Guinness for some of the liquid. Prepared pans with "pan grease" like I always do. Only half of the cake came out of the pan! The instructions say grease and flour pans. On the upside...that's the BEST chocolate cake I've ever eaten! Any advice?

13 replies
4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 14

My suggestion would be to use parchment paper. It works very well. Maybe I'll try that recipe.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 14

I know this is probably a stupid question, but when you use parchment paper do you also grease the pan? And do you just cut parchment paper to the size of the pan and put it at the bottom and then poor batter on it...LOL. I know I need a lot of help. I like things explained word for word. LOL
And I have also been wondering whether or not you are supposed to grease the edges of the pan? I always do it lightly but not sure if its neccesary.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 14

When I use parchment, I spray the whole pan (sides & bottom) w/Pam and then pop in the parchment. Then I lightly spray the whole thing again. It's probably overkill, but I HATE when things stick.

Kristy

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 14

I grease, lay parchment, grease parchment then flour - or if chocolate cake "flour" with cocoa.

Hey! This is my 300th post yeah!! I like even numbers... icon_lol.gif

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 14

I mix equal parts flour, vegetable oil, and shortening to make a pan coater. Works wonders and it doesn't affect the flavor of the cake.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 14

That is the best chocolate cake ever. It is my most popular cake. I love it!!!!

I just made two batches yesterday and the first batch tried to stick when I didn't let it cool quite as long as I usually do. (I needed the pans) I was confused because this cake doesn't usually stick. The next batch came out fine though, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I usually let my cakes cool til they are just above body temp then turnout. I know that is longer than most, but it works best for me. I use a liberal amount of shortening, then flour to prepare my pans.

Just give it a try again, it seems cakes sometimes just don't act the way you would like them to, for no apparent reason.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I know this is probably a stupid question, but when you use parchment paper do you also grease the pan? And do you just cut parchment paper to the size of the pan and put it at the bottom and then poor batter on it...LOL. I know I need a lot of help. I like things explained word for word. LOL
And I have also been wondering whether or not you are supposed to grease the edges of the pan? I always do it lightly but not sure if its neccesary.

My favorite method of coating the pan is with one of the sprays for baking. I've used them all, and I don't have a preference as to which I use. I have, in the past, used the mixture to some which refer of the flour and shortening mixed --but I don't like the mess. '

I spray the whole pan with the Baking Spray, then I layer the bottom with the parchment. No additional spray required after that. One may also line the bottom of the pan with wax paper (wax paper is NOT good for cookie sheets; however) which works just as well and is actually a little more cost effective.

Greasing the edge of the pan is not necessary, but if it has worked for you all this time, hey, don't change it!

thumbs_up.gif

HTH!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

That is the best chocolate cake ever. It is my most popular cake. I love it!!!!

It really is an awesome cake and super easy to make! I'm not a snob either way in terms of mix or scratch, but this one is, honestly, almost as easy as opening the box of mix --especially if you are using additions to the mix..,

I find it to be incredibly "chocolaty." Funny the sticking should have been mentioned. The last time I made this cake (just two weeks ago) I was just a tad bit short on my parchment and lined the pan with what I had. The little strip that did not have parchment stuck when it came out of the pan! I had to patch it back onto the cake. icon_lol.gif Thankfully, it was just one of the corners and the repair was easy.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 14

momto2girlz....you've answered my question! I only let them cool about 10 minutes in the pan, so I'll bet that was the reason they stuck. Sure did taste divine! Make it with the Hershey's Dark next time you make it. Chocolate nirvana!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixieleigh

momto2girlz....you've answered my question! I only let them cool about 10 minutes in the pan, so I'll bet that was the reason they stuck. Sure did taste divine! Make it with the Hershey's Dark next time you make it. Chocolate nirvana!

Glad I could help. I will have to try it with the dark. I LOVE that cake. Another thing I do is add an additional egg, making it 3 instead of 2, and it raises better.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #12 of 14

I spray the whole pan with the Baking Spray, then I layer the bottom with the parchment paper.no problem what so ever.bake it wait 10 mins right out.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #13 of 14

I agree, the Hersheys Chocolate Cake is the best...ooooh Guinness, sounds intruiging! Have to try that. Cheese and rice, now I want chocolate.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:47am
post #14 of 14

I spray a bit of cake release and then use parchment...ots really not necessary...I do that so paper sticks to pan for me...and its not necessary to spray parchment.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%