First Time Cake Stacking

Decorating By TinasCookings Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

TinasCookings Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

This would be my first time stacking cakes, so I have a few questions icon_smile.gif
(I also hope that this is the right section for these kind of questions)

I would stack two cakes (9-inch and 8-inch), larger on the bottom, smaller on top.
OK, I'll try to describe the cakes as much as I can, so you can help me icon_smile.gif
Both cakes will have three layers each (one pan = one layer), so that will make 6 layers total.
The filling isn't BC, it's a filling of a Boston cream pie-type...

So? Do I need dowels? How many? How to arrange them? icon_confused.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif
Thank you all in advance birthday.gif

5 replies
Ybird Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, i stacked my first cake the other day when i made a castle cake for my niece, i would say to put a board inbetween after 3 layers and use 4 dowels undernief to support to make sure the cakes dont sink into each other. I placed my dowels in a square shape so it was even weight all the way round. the picture of the cake i done can be found in my pictures. icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that helps im quite new to this aswell, so really sorry if its not.

TinasCookings Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybird

put a board inbetween after 3 layers and use 4 dowels undernief to support to make sure the cakes dont sink into each other. I placed my dowels in a square shape so it was even weight all the way round.

This is great! icon_smile.gif
I wasn't sure how to arrange the dowels, but this is great! icon_smile.gif
Thank you thumbs_up.gif

One more question - how thick dowels did you use? icon_wink.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 6

Ybird is right. Each tier should be constructed seperately, stacked on a cake round (a piece of cardboard the size of your cake). I cut a hole out of the center of each cardboard before I construct the cake on the cardboard. Then, you want to evenly space your dowels out, to evenly support the weight of the next tier. I spread a little bit of buttercream on top of my bottom tier, so the second tier sticks to it when you put it on top.

Once my tiers are stacked, I put a long dowel thru the top of the cake, all the way down to your cake board. So that helps steady the cake as well.

I probably use 5 dowels in the bottom tier to support the top tier - not sure what anyone else does, I'd actually like to know how many everyone else uses? Plus the long one for the center, 6 total.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

TinasCookings Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 6

You guys are great! ImageImageImage

My plan is to make the bottom layer, ice it, put in 4 dowels and then put the smaller cake on top and run the long dowel down the center icon_smile.gif
I'm guessing I don't need very thick dowels, because it's only two tiers birthday.gif
Oh, I'm so happy now icon_biggrin.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 6

That should do it! Have fun thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%