How Do You Make Rkt Less "bumpy"

Decorating By vlk Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm by psmith

vlk Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 17

Once the shape is made.. I can not seem to get the surface smooth enough to cover in fondant and look right.. bar from beating the RKT to death with a mallet - any tips?!

I typically use premade RKT, make a big ball, nuke it in the microwave and form my shape -

TIA -

Vicki

16 replies
TrixieTreats Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 17

Just pack it as much as possible to the point where the cereal starts to crumble. I usually press it into my work surface face down (rolling it or whatever makes sense for the shape), then cover in BC, let it crust and roll your fondant thick. When the fondant is on, I use my hand to smooth it...a lot.

SpringFlour Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieTreats

Just pack it as much as possible to the point where the cereal starts to crumble. I usually press it into my work surface face down (rolling it or whatever makes sense for the shape)




I do this, too, but I don't cover it in buttercream. I cover in fondant, then smooth again with my hands, then cover it in another layer of fondant.

mayo2222 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 17

I normally pack it as tight as I can and then cover in BC. I normally use a little thicker piece of fondant as well.

KHalstead Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 17

I paint the shape with melted chocolate and this smooths it out considerably and then just wipe a wet paper towel on the dried chocolate and the fondant adheres to it nicely.

Here are some pics from a duck cake I did, you can see the head is pretty smooth once covered in fondant and it wasn't exceptionally thick or anything


http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1670894

SISA Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 17

I am going off the subject a little because I am trying cereal treats again this weekend. Does everyone use the recipe right off the side of the box when you use these or is there another recipe? Thanks!

mayo2222 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISA

I am going off the subject a little because I am trying cereal treats again this weekend. Does everyone use the recipe right off the side of the box when you use these or is there another recipe? Thanks!




I just use the premade ones from the store normally, unless it calls for a large amount of RKTs

artscallion Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 17

I use a micro-plane grater on the finished shape to eliminate all bumps. The process produces a kind of RKT paste, which I then rub over the surface to fill in any perfections. It also acts as a sticky surface for the fondant to adhere to.

Like springflour, I also use two layers of fondant with no buttercream.

As far as which recipe to use, it depends on how you want your RKTs to be. Lots of folks eliminate the butter, so they come out firmer. Though that might be better for carving, it's not as ideal for hand forming and molding. Others partially crush the cereal before mixing it in. This will give you a more compact, firmer product. This can be good in some instances. But is not ideal if you intend for folks to eat the final product. If I intend for the final product to be eaten, I just use the recipe on the box as it is.

mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I use a micro-plane grater on the finished shape to eliminate all bumps. The process produces a kind of RKT paste, which I then rub over the surface to fill in any perfections. It also acts as a sticky surface for the fondant to adhere to.

Like springflour, I also use two layers of fondant with no buttercream.

As far as which recipe to use, it depends on how you want your RKTs to be. Lots of folks eliminate the butter, so they come out firmer. Though that might be better for carving, it's not as ideal for hand forming and molding. Others partially crush the cereal before mixing it in. This will give you a more compact, firmer product. This can be good in some instances. But is not ideal if you intend for folks to eat the final product. If I intend for the final product to be eaten, I just use the recipe on the box as it is.




I love the micro palne grater idea. That is brilliant and will try it next time. Right now i pack as hard as I can, smooth as much as possible, then cover in a slightly thick layer of fondant. i found this to work best for me. Good Luck

Suzisweet Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 17

I am sorry, I am being bad and not reading all of the replys so if this duplicates someones answer...sorry!!

I have done two things with success...though one is easier then the other.

1. Put the rice crispies in the blender and pulse them to break them down some, pour them into the melted marshmallow and mix up.
2. Cover your piece with chocolate (white or milk/dark chocolate depending on the fondant color)
Both of these work great.
I experimented with these techniques after making a lumpy shark.
Suzi

FlourPots Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 17

I covered the shapes in melted chocolate, stuck them in the fridge for a few minutes to firm, then used the hot knife method, or hot spatula I should say, to smooth, then covered with fondant a bit thicker than I would normally use.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1791124

vlk Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you ... Thank you... what great ideas -

cherrycakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 17

I am also going to attempt to use rkt to make some small musical instruments and am wondering - how far in advance can I make a figure without it going too stale?

madgeowens Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 17

I cover mine with melted chocolate.....sometimes twice....this is after carving it as smooth as possible

SweetChar Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:34am
post #15 of 17

I've never done it before but I have seen on Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes that they cover the rice krispies with royal icing and that gives them the smooth surface.

cakesbycathy Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 17

I usually make my own RKT so when I do I put them in the food processor to make them finer.

I cover with crusting buttercream and when it crusts smooth it out with a Viva, a layer of fondant then a second layer of fondant.

psmith Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 17

I've put a thin layer of melted chocolate over the rkt under the fondant. You can use a hot knife to help smooth the chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%