Americolor Electric Purple Help

Decorating By ambermarie Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm by TexasSugar

ambermarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermarie Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 12

I bought the Americolor gel in electric purple to use for a NYC cake that I made. I've used Americolor before and it is my favorite brand. The colors always come out great, and with very little gel.

This time however, it didn't work so well. I had used it before to make a small sea shell bra for a doll and it came out just fine. Not very "electric" but I figured it was because I only used a tiny drop.

When I went to color a large mound of Satin Ice fondant, it would NOT take. It kept coming out periwinkle blue. It looked purple at first, but no matter what after it sat for a while it was periwinkle. I used 2 small bottles of the coloring and it was still the same color.

Anyone know why that could be?? I wrote the company and have yet to hear from them either. I'm very frusterated :-/

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 12

Purples are bad about fading. Did you have it in sunlight or under florescent light?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 12

Though I am a huge fan of Americolor...electric purple is disappointing to me. All of their other electric colors are amazing. Think they fell short with the electric purple. I don't get the results I expect with it either. Sorry--I have no solution.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 12

I think it has to do with the light as well........I've had cupcakes iced with bc colored with that and had them actually turn pink!! Just from the light in my kitchen, sunlight is worse...can make it turn an aweful blue slate grey color.

Once you color it, keep it in the dark!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 12

If you try the fuscia you may get a better electric purple as this color goes quite purple instead of pink fuscia..I used it on my Fancy Nancy cake...

post #6 of 12

If you try the fuscia you may get a better electric purple as this color goes quite purple instead of pink fuscia..I used it on my Fancy Nancy cake...

post #7 of 12

If you try the fuscia you may get a better electric purple as this color goes quite purple instead of pick fuscia..I used it on my Fancy Nancy cake...

Sorry Double post....

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 12

Hmm, mine didn't fade to periwinkle, but it definitely wasn't electric!

In my cake pic with the bow, its the color of most of the bow loops, which ended up looking like a light pinkish purple, and the #2 and some of the stars... but all 3 bow loops are SUPPOSED to be a dif shade of a purple, and 2 of them turned blue!

Purple coloring sucks. I tried mixing in a little pink to my dark purple as someone suggested, maybe I didn't mix in enough, or maybe it would have been even bluer had I not mixed it in!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1811257

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 12

I'm not a fan of Americolor electric purple at all...the colour just seems not quite 'right' to me, and it fades rediculously. I've not had much sucess with purples in general though, no matter which brand/colour I use.

ambermarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermarie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #10 of 12

I didn't have it in much light at all. I was coloring it at night in my kitchen and I wrapped it an put in in a bucket when I was finished. I don't know what the problem is...I guess I'll try to stay away from Purple if I can help it!

Thanks for all your responses!

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:26am
post #11 of 12

I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how well it works, but I bought no-fade purple paste from Country kitchen sweet art. It comes in little jars like the wilton brand. Has anyone used it?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 12

I don't like the color of the electric purple either. It isn't pretty to me.

For no fading purples, look into Crystal Color powder colors. They are great and the purple doesn't fade. I mixed it in some fondant and left it sitting in the window and I have florescent lights in my kitchen. Didn't fade a lick, and it was there for over a week. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%