Buttercream Sometimes Has Tons Of Air Bubbles...

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 4

I tried to search for "air bubbles in buttercream" but all that returned were topics about an air bubble blow-out during settling and that is not my question.

I wish I had a photo, but I left my camera at home today. When I frost my cakes, I do a crumb coat, then I go back and frost with a spatula, then use a bench scraper to smooth and remove the extra frosting. Sometimes (not always), I have a problem with my frosting - it has all these small craters when I scrape it almost like there were dozens of little air bubbles that I'm popping as I go along. Have I beat the frosting too much? Or not pressed hard enough with the spatula as I'm frosting?

If anyone can understand what I'm tallking about, I'd really appreciate some tips. TIA!!

3 replies
GL79 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

That happens to me when I mix too much, especially when I add the color and mix with the mixer.

CWR41 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Was your mixing bowl filled to the top enough to completely cover your beater blade so that you weren't whipping air into it?

ncsmorris Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 4

Maybe that's it then, mixing too much...if it's happened to you also.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the blade was completely covered...I was making quite a bit of frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%