Buttercream Sometimes Has Tons Of Air Bubbles...

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 4

I tried to search for "air bubbles in buttercream" but all that returned were topics about an air bubble blow-out during settling and that is not my question.

I wish I had a photo, but I left my camera at home today. When I frost my cakes, I do a crumb coat, then I go back and frost with a spatula, then use a bench scraper to smooth and remove the extra frosting. Sometimes (not always), I have a problem with my frosting - it has all these small craters when I scrape it almost like there were dozens of little air bubbles that I'm popping as I go along. Have I beat the frosting too much? Or not pressed hard enough with the spatula as I'm frosting?

If anyone can understand what I'm tallking about, I'd really appreciate some tips. TIA!!

3 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

That happens to me when I mix too much, especially when I add the color and mix with the mixer.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Was your mixing bowl filled to the top enough to completely cover your beater blade so that you weren't whipping air into it?

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 4

Maybe that's it then, mixing too much...if it's happened to you also.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the blade was completely covered...I was making quite a bit of frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%