A Newbie

Baking By CDrobinson Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 9:25am by brincess_b

CDrobinson Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:00am
post #1 of 2

Hello icon_biggrin.gif ,
I am super excited to be joining this forum. I recently began exploring cake making as an artform. I looooooove the fact that you can eat your creations when you are finished and I get chills when I see an awesome finished product. Since I am new, I am focusing on one thing at a time. I began trying to make 8in round cakes and found it to be a little too intimidating for me to begin with, so I scaled it down a bit to a 6in round instead. This size is a bit more manageable for my skill level. So far I have been practicing my frosting and icing skills and working on recipes. I can't wait to get "fondant" ready. The reason I am writing today is this. I am struggling with finding good recipes. I want a cake that looks good and tastes better. I tried to make my favorite cake (red velvet) but it came out waaaay too dense. I also tried to make the cream cheese frosting which was awful. I found the recipe online. My mother wasn't a big baker, so I don't have those awesome recipes passed down from grandma to use. What is a good resource for confirmed cake recipes. I really want to make my cakes look and taste good and unique. icon_biggrin.gif I have tons of ideas for cakes and upcoming parties at my church but I need to get this part down first. any suggestions?

1 reply
brincess_b Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:25am
post #2 of 2

Try to find recommendation for recipes. The forums here are bursting with posts asking for the best xyz. The recipe section is rated and has comments so you can take your pick from there.
Personally, I'd recommend a victoria sponge, and either traditional bc or indydebis.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%