Help, I Can't Decide Which Stand Mixer To Buy!

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 8:22pm by imagenthatnj

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 56

I have wanted a Stand Mixer for years. I just came across decent prices on 2 different makes and models and I am having difficulty deciding which one to go for. If anyone owns a Cuisinart 7.7L (7-qt.) Stand Mixer or a Kitchen Aid Pro HD 5.2L (5.5 qt.) Stand Mixer I would love to hear what you like (or don't like) about it. I know Kitchen Aid has been around for a long time...but the Cusinart Model has a larger bowl, a 1000W motor and a 5 year warranty I know bigger is not always better...but the extra 4 years of warranty is sure enticing. Any advice?

55 replies
VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 56

I recently purchased a KA 600. It has the bowl lift instead of the tilt head, I really wish that I had gotten the tilt head because it is a pain to add things once the bowl is in place. Not sure about the model that you are looking at, but I just wanted to share my thoughts about that. HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:44am
post #3 of 56

I love my ka.............I wanted he bowl lift.....glad you commented so maybe I will think about that longer when its time for a new one.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 56

KA!! IT's the best!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 56

Go to amazon.com and read the reviews on both the models you mentioned. I only do hobby baking, so based on literally hundreds of reviews I read, I ended up purchasing a barely used tilt-head Artisan KA. The Artisan KA is by far the most popular.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:49am
post #6 of 56

If you can get a no bars/limitations return policy on their dime, go with the KA. Then put it through it's paces. Make the thing work all day long.

Otherwise tread carefully. The KA division of Hobart was bought out years ago and the new company is not worried about customer service or quality of product.

I have a KA, Classic, tilt head and smallest motor. I've owned it for over 20 years. It's a little workhorse. It was built by Hobart. I'll cry when it dies. My nieces will cry when it dies. It's a major why don't you get a new one Gomo, so I can have it item.

I don't know anything about the Cuisinart. Customer service, concerning some other appliances; is lousy.

Hth

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:11am
post #7 of 56

The old KAs are great. New ones, not as much. I would rec the Cuisinart.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 56

If you get a KA, get it at Williams Sonoma....they have a lifetime warranty on them. I bought mine there, and I'm getting ready to go exchange it for my 5th mixer in almost 4.5 years. As much as they cost, they should last forever. If I had done more research, I would have bought the Cuisinart instead. If I hadn't bought mine at WS, I would have been ticked....my first one died two days after the KA warranty expired. The gears are plastic, and strip easily.

winny01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winny01 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 56

I love my KA!!

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 56

Neither!

When my 15 yr old Kitchenaid dies, I'm going VIKING!

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/products/product_option_color.jsp?id=prod180064

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 56

KA has a very good warranty. And its a good thing. I burned through 3 6 qt Pros in 4 months. The product does not deserve the reputation is has. "Back in the old days . . ."

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 56

I was in the same situation until a couple of weeks ago. I have an old KA that was made when Hobart still made them. It's still working, but I wanted a larget bowl. After getting on the internet and reading all the bad reviews about the KA's made since about 2003, I was really skeptical about getting one. I also read reviews on the Cuisinart and talked to several people who had one. They loved it, and it's what I ended up purchasing. So far, it's been great! I still have my old KA and will use it until it dies, but I just don't trust the new ones any more! The only thing that kept me from getting a Viking is that I was told parts are hard to come by locally so if it needed repaired, it would take a lot longer than I could spare. Good luck making your decision...I'm happy with mine so far!

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 56

I own the Cuisinart 5.5 quart model. I did extensive research before purchasing it 2 years ago. I'm clumsy and messy and, though I don't use it every day as I am a hobby baker, it has withstood ME. I love the timer feature. Attachments aren't as readily available as for the KA, but are easily found online. I would highly recommend it.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 56

I have the Cuisinart 5.5 also. I love it! Two best features - splatter shield and timer. It's a workhorse, too. I make fondant in it without any issues - Michele Foster recipe.

My husband tells me that Dale Jr wants my mixer back for the race on Sunday!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

KA has a very good warranty. And its a good thing. I burned through 3 6 qt Pros in 4 months. The product does not deserve the reputation is has. "Back in the old days . . ."

They have a good warranty until the warranty expires. My first died just a couple of days past the warranty. KA wouldn't replace or fix it without me paying for it, but the store replaced it no questions.

FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 56

I LOVE my KA as well! I have no idea how I survived so long before it icon_smile.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #17 of 56

Have you considered a Bosch? I got to use my moms this summer and I really liked it. Now i'm saving my pennies for one icon_smile.gif

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #18 of 56

Wow, I hope my 13 year old KA keeps ticking after reading they are not as good now....
I love the way the Viking looks - also heard Bosch was good.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:32am
post #19 of 56

I have both the Cuisinart and the KA. I use them both - but the KA is really my "back up". I used it primarily until I got the Cuisinart and I find myself using the Cuisinart more and more and more -- until I notice my poor KA getting lonely! LOL I got both from Kohl's using online coupon codes, so I really saved enough to warrant getting them both!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:35am
post #20 of 56

I have a 5 qt kitchen aide and love it, easy to use.

Pghnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pghnana Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #21 of 56

I recently burned out my Sunbeam and found a KA Pro 500 HD at Sam's Club for a great price. I'd read a lot of great reviews on it. First time I used it, I hated it. Noise like gears were grinding inside and the attachments were metal without any covering. It was awlful. I was very disappointed because I thought KA's were the best. I took it back and found a Hamilton Beach at Sears that I love. It's a 4.5 qt. but runs smooth and is quiet.

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #22 of 56

I have a Bosch I received as a wedding present in 1981. Still works fine -- lasting way longer than the marriage! icon_lol.gif I have used it for kneading multiple loaves of bread and getting ready to try MMF next week. The downside is my bowl is cumbersome to pour out of when full. If I had extra money I would probably invest in a KA with handles on the bowl and there are more attachments available for the KA. Just my two cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:41am
post #23 of 56

I have KA artisan and I love it

poomagoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poomagoo Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:47am
post #24 of 56

I have a KA and absolutely love it. Also got the no limitations warranty on it which is great for peace of mind.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #25 of 56

i've been tring to decide also . ????? what to do what to do

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #26 of 56

I had wondered why I wasn't getting any responses on this post...only to discover there are 24 already! (Must be a problem with my email). CC'ers come through again icon_smile.gif . Lots to think about. I didn't realize that KA was no longer made by Hobart, and that the newer models are not as good. I will have to check a few more stores, too, now that I have heard where some of you have shopped. Decisions, decisions. It does sound like it may be worth it to pay more and get Cusinart or Bosch.

Thanks CC'ers! thumbs_up.gif

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #27 of 56

Tried to research as much as possible & in the end bought a Cuisinart and so far I LOVE it! thumbs_up.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #28 of 56

I have both and although I love my KA, I much prefer the Cuisinart. Better warranty, more powerful and just a better machine all round. Good luck deciding....

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #29 of 56

I've had a KA pro 6qt for about 4yrs. I absolutely love it icon_biggrin.gif No problems ever with it.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #30 of 56

I own both mixers that you reference. I much prefer the Cuisinart. It has a larger bowl, more power, better mixing and I like the speed control on it. Plus it weighs a lot less than the KA or at least it feels like that to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%