Best Way...

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 10:24am by noahsmummy

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

what is the best way to cut fondant and gumpaste accents without getting the rough edges? they drive me insane!!!

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 5

Let your rolled out gumpaste rest for a few minutes on a foam sponge so it firms up a bit. If you don't have a foam sponge, turn the gumpaste over after a few minutes so the underside firms up.

Use a cutting wheel wherever you can. For the rest, use a sharp knife with a tiny point, like an Xacto or craft knife.

Apply a little oil to your knife blade.

If you do get rough edges, wait about 10 or more minutes for the gumpaste to set up, then, trim away the ragged parts. If you try to clean it up while it's still soft, you'll just make it worse.

If you've missed trimming a ragged edge and the gumpaste has dried completely, use a clean nail file or emery board to sand it smooth. If it's a tight area, peel the emery paper off the board so you can fold it and get it into the tight areas.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 5

You can clean up rough edges with a damp detail brush as well.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 5

I tend to rub a little shortening on my various cutters to help with smoother edges when I cut my decorations. I've also seen where folks lay the cutter cut-side-up and place the fondant over it and run their small rolling pin over it rather than doing it cookie-cutter-style.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:24am
post #5 of 5

thankyou so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%