What Is Best Product For What I Am Making????

Decorating By tbmichals Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

tbmichals Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 2

I am new to all of this. I am making a cake and need to make surfboards that will stand (get hard). A sign made of Bamboo (gumpaste/fondant?) border with sign inside that will stand alone. Cutting flowers with my cricut, want them to look real. I am trying the cricut for the first time and have to go buy a product to make my designs. Don't have a lot of wiggle time so don't want to waste time/money on the wrong products.

1 reply
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 2

I, personally would use gumpaste. It will dry really hard. I know that some people use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste & fondant, but I haven't had a lot of luck with it, it never seems to dry hard enough. Some people also mix gumpaste with Tylose (I think it's called?), but I haven't tried that. As I said, I've used straight gumpaste and it works great. Super easy to work with. I buy the Satin Ice gumpaste from my local cake decorating store and I think it's betwen $12-$14 for a 2lb bucket.

I also use only gumpaste in my cricut. Fondant seems to be too soft for me, even if I freeze it. So I roll the gumpast very thin and freeze it for 5 minutes. Works like a charm (until it starts to sweat!)

I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%