How Do You Use Rkt For Cake Decorating?

Decorating By marcifoote Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm by marcifoote

marcifoote Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake where I need to create stairs (like the stairs lead into the cake) and also turrets with a bulb-like top (making a princess Jasime castle).. I was thinking of using RKT for this, but I've never done it. Do you mold it the way you want while it's warm or do you make it into like a block or something by pressing into a tin and letting it cool and then carve with a knife? Any help is appreciated, thank you so much!

4 replies
etr2002 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

I've only used RKT once and that was this past weekend. I wish that I had made my own RKT and not purchased the brand-name, premade bars as they didn't hold their shape very well. I molded them, iced over them, and then applied the fondant but the RKT started to shift by the next day. I was making a dragon and it looked like my dragon had swollen glands in its neck. My suggestion is to definitely make your own treats and not use the premade bars!

goodiegoddess Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

I used RKT to make turrets for a castle. I made the recipe but only added 2-3tbl of butter just to melt the marshmellows. I let the mixture cool down in the pot (only about 10 minutes). I kept my hands wet and had no problems. They were firm when dry but I could still make small adjustments.

Don't know if this is the right way but it worked for me.

6cups Ricekrispy + 40 marshmellows and 3tbls butter

Jamielc Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 5

I've used RKT twice ... both times I made my own ... the first time I was making a bike ramp for a skate park cake; molded treats into a brick and carved to get the ramp ... the second time I was making a lighthouse and just molded the treats by hand like you would with fondant. I think it depends on what you're making for the best method. To make stairs I would probably either make a block and carve them out or make panels of treats and stack them on each other, stair-like. I used the recipe right off the Rice Crispies box. Good luck!

marcifoote Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 5

What would I do without this website? Thanks so much for your advice... helps so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%