What Cake Works Well Under Fondant???

Decorating By mpowelljones Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm by brincess_b

mpowelljones Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 7

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but I wasn't sure how to query for the answer. At any rate, I'm wondering what type of cake works the best under fondant? I'm thinking probably a butter cake because it's more dense, but I wonder what you all think?

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 7

Pretty much anything will do. I use victoria, maderia and pound cake, carrot cake, fruit cake.... As long as it's not really soft like angel food.
xx

leily Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Pretty much anything will do. I use victoria, maderia and pound cake, carrot cake, fruit cake.... As long as it's not really soft like angel food.
xx

agree, pretty much anything but angel food. Angel food is just to light and airy to hold up to the weight of fondant (even if it's rolled really really thin)

indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 7

I've used straight from the box mix cakes and they held up fine.

mpowelljones Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help everybody. icon_biggrin.gif

mpowelljones Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

What about the frosting? Is there a particular frosting that works better? What about IMBC? Is that a good one?

brincess_b Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 7

Any frosting is good, it depends what u like eating and working with.
Imbc or smbc are generally less sweet, and non crusting.
Traditional bc can be made with butter or crisco (and ps and liquid) - crisco holds up better to the heat, and it will crust. Then u have other recipes like indydebis (that I use) or sugarshacks, which must be the most popular recipes on here.
Some people use ganache too, sets up very firm for getting sharp corners.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%