Cutting Cake 1/2 For Filling - Do I Need To Know Anything

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm by squeaky121603

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 9

so it sounds very self explanatory, but what I have learn here is that there are tips and tricks to EVERYTHING.

so I cook, cool and then cut in half - anything I am missing and tips?

then for the filling, do I need to put a lil icing down 1st and then spread the filling? or just slop that bad boy up?

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 9

When doing the filling you want to make sure that you make an icing dam (a stiff consistency buttercream) around the edge and then the filling in the middle. Don't get your filling as high as the dam though otherwise it may still ooze out.

I don't put a layer of icing down before my filling, i don't have any issues with it being absorbed into the cake.

as for cutting in half, what are you planning on using? The hardest part is making sure that you're cutting level all the way across the cake.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 9

I have a Cake Leveler - the one below. I know it's a cheapy one, but I am hoping I can use it. I have also seen where ppl say they use unflavored floss. (but I think that would be harder for me)

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D67E-475A-BAC0-5792C543763E855E

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

I have a Cake Leveler - the one below. I know it's a cheapy one, but I am hoping I can use it. I have also seen where ppl say they use unflavored floss. (but I think that would be harder for me)

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D67E-475A-BAC0-5792C543763E855E

If I were you, I'd take it back. It's not any good (personal experience).

I prefer taking a long serrated knife and cutting it (seesaw method). I've never been able to use floss (although that's what my mom would do and was always successful).

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 9

That wilton one isn't that bad. The large one however I feel is awful. If you do use it just make sure you use small back and forth motions and not long ones. hth. I would later invest in a better one.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

I use this one too (while i'm saving up for my agaby!) and the best advice i can give is not to go straight through your cake. I shift the leveler back and forth in a sawing motion, and at the same time i rotate the cake in a circle so that the leveler is going "into" the cake from all sides. I find that i don't tear the cake this way. I just keep making the sawing motion and rotation the cake until the leveler makes it to the middle of the cake, since i'm turning the cake in a circle the whole time when i get to the middle with the leveler i've already cut through the whole cake.

I hope this makes sense, it is kind of hard for me to put into words.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 9

I use the large Wilton one all the time. It's one of the wilton tools I do like. Just use a sawing motions, slow short back and forth motion. Works great. I use a large flat cookie sheet to then wedge between layers and pull off the top layer. I fill cake and slide the top layer back on with no problems. I know a lot of ppl don't like the wilton cake seperator / slicer thingy, but everyone is different and I think you have to experiment for yourself before coming to any conclusion. Might take a little practice, but you'll get it eventually. Good luck with it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

That wilton one isn't that bad. The large one however I feel is awful. If you do use it just make sure you use small back and forth motions and not long ones. hth. I would later invest in a better one.

Oops. I hadn't looked at the picture to see it was the small one but the large one I still wouldn't waste my money on.

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 9

Hated that Wilton large leveler. Would not cut straight at all. So, I invested in the Agbay and LOVE IT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%