Background Checks On Employees

Business By loriemoms Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 4:17pm by TexasSugar

loriemoms Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 11

Who do you guys use for your background checks on Employees? There are SOOO many of them!!

10 replies
loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:43am
post #2 of 11

so noobody does these?

Occther Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:33am
post #3 of 11

In Ohio, you must have a background check if you work in schools or healthcare. You can call your local police department and find out where to get the fingerprint/background check. Some of them do it - but a lot of schools have someone who will perform it, also,

TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 11

At my day job (not cake related) we have to do background checks on our employees because we work on school. I actually do them through the our states Department of Public Safety and our fingerprints are done at a local gun store/firing range.

loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 11

thanks guys1 that is very helpful!

KoryAK Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 11

I just do an internet search of their name and email and our local court system has a site where you can see any legal stuff.

mimido Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 11

In Alabama You have to go throught the Dept. Of Public Safety . You can pick up the form at State Trooper Offices. The fee is $25.00 . Well it was 3 years ago before i retired.

mmgiles Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 11

You could also try using publicdata.com.

CookieMeister Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 11

What type of background check are you referring to? MVRs, criminal?

If you have delivery personnel, I believe it is very important to run their MVRs. If they have nastiness on their driving record, and you put them on the road for you and they cause an accident, you could find yourself with a negligent retention/hiring lawsuit. And most insurers of corporate vehicles would require it. I have over 1,000 drivers in my daytime job, and I use guidelines for my staff in determining who drives and doesn't. If someone looks for a special exception, I use the same litmus test on all of them - if they were to get into an accident and hurt someone, could I stand in front of a jury and say that I didn't have any reason to doubt putting that person on the road? If I can't, I don't let them drive for us.

iix.com is a great place for MVRs. Choicepoint does all sorts of background checks, including MVRs and criminal background. I think criminal is important for all mangerial staff, or for anyone who goes to customer's homes for deliveries.

I agree that the internet in general (and for free) can give you some great information on a person. But - what you get that way and what you do with it might not be legal in all states. Know your state laws. For example, California has very strict privacy laws (the right to privacy is one of the first things in the California Constitution), so in order to do background checks, you are limited to what you can do and there are hoops to jump through to do what IS legal.

Background checks, as with anything, you have to assess the risk, and decide what you're comfortable taking. You don't HAVE to do these things, but know and understand the risks if you choose not to.

loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMeister

What type of background check are you referring to? MVRs, criminal?

If you have delivery personnel, I believe it is very important to run their MVRs. If they have nastiness on their driving record, and you put them on the road for you and they cause an accident, you could find yourself with a negligent retention/hiring lawsuit. And most insurers of corporate vehicles would require it. I have over 1,000 drivers in my daytime job, and I use guidelines for my staff in determining who drives and doesn't. If someone looks for a special exception, I use the same litmus test on all of them - if they were to get into an accident and hurt someone, could I stand in front of a jury and say that I didn't have any reason to doubt putting that person on the road? If I can't, I don't let them drive for us.

iix.com is a great place for MVRs. Choicepoint does all sorts of background checks, including MVRs and criminal background. I think criminal is important for all mangerial staff, or for anyone who goes to customer's homes for deliveries.

I agree that the internet in general (and for free) can give you some great information on a person. But - what you get that way and what you do with it might not be legal in all states. Know your state laws. For example, California has very strict privacy laws (the right to privacy is one of the first things in the California Constitution), so in order to do background checks, you are limited to what you can do and there are hoops to jump through to do what IS legal.

Background checks, as with anything, you have to assess the risk, and decide what you're comfortable taking. You don't HAVE to do these things, but know and understand the risks if you choose not to.

thanks for the info! This is for delivery person as well as someone who will be here alone in the shop waiting on customers and handling money and such. Would like to make sure they have a clean driving record as well as arrest record. Especaily like you said for deliveries to homes!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 11

I had to go to a training meeting this week on our back ground checks, since we do work with schools. Because of our school contracts I have to apply for access to look on the secure version of our starts DPS site.

I didn't realize, since I don't back ground check every person I come across, that there is actually a public version as well on our DPS website.

So you may want to check out your starts DPS website and see if they have a similar option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%